Whirlpool Flame Lock water heaters, reviews, troubleshooting, repair and support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Saturday, January 24, 2009...14:50 hours...I am heading out to a Whirlpool (Cesspool) water heater call...guess for what...no hot water...can you believe that...seems hard to believe....

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
They said they could overnight a valve to me and have a plumber install it for me, both at no charge. Couldn't hurt I figured, so I had them overnight the valve. I called the plumber to set up an appointment but he didn't want to do so until the parts arrived. The parts didn't arrive early enough today for me to schedule with the plumber, so it would have to wait until after the weekend, and I happen to be traveling next weekend.

I'm convinced that the "fixes" such as promptly sending new gas valves is a stall tactic without solving the root problem.

I didn't hear any responses to my question about how to keep the water heater "limping along" - so I assume the only solution is to light the pilot right after getting out of bed, have breakfast first, and then take my shower. :D

There is no limping along on these heaters. The most important component on these are the items you're receiving. Just get to know chuck in india on a first name basis so he remembers ya the next time you call.

Nothing wrong with taking issues about choice by price. We all know big box stores offer everything cheaper than say a plumbing supply house or building supply, it's guaranteed to be. That's why they move so much inventory; cheaper.

Without being cynical...wait, I'm going to try real hard, you could take that gas valve out, burner assembly out, turn that into a small kindling fire from sticks out back. Just stoke it like a woodburning stove, no more calls to india.

If you happen to find defective twigs in your back yard, this world is truly coming to an end real soon.

This thread died for a really long time, I thought I made a difference. History is repeating itself again.

Cass! Make sure you sell them the extended warranty! Don't back down! They must be protected!

biking_brian

Reaction score
Ask almost anyone nowadays who sells water heaters, and likely the only places they will come up with are the big box stores. For many of us in newer suburbs, the big box stores are indeed the only option - unless we want to drive a long ways to a place we've never shopped at before. So it's not just a question of price, it's a question of (perceived) availability.

As long as AWHC is going to make crappy heaters, Whirlpool puts its name on them, and Lowe's sells them, history will continue to repeat itself. Because when the water heater goes, the average person isn't going to have time to do the research - need a quick fix ASAP to keep the family happy! But don't despair, this thread has still made a difference (at least for me) - although I didn't see the thread soon enough to avoid buying the water heater, at least I know now not to have any false hopes for long-term success. Furthermore, maybe a lot of would-be buyers have seen this thread and decided to get another brand instead? On the other hand, maybe there's a lot of people who are stuck with these and haven't seen this thread, and they're dealing multiple calls to India, thinking that they're the only one with this problem, and they haven't had hot water for weeks?

More to follow on my situation when I have more time...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ask almost anyone nowadays who sells water heaters, and likely the only places they will come up with are the big box stores. For many of us in newer suburbs, the big box stores are indeed the only option - unless we want to drive a long ways to a place we've never shopped at before. So it's not just a question of price, it's a question of (perceived) availability.

It depends on who you ask!

http://www.bradfordwhite.com/finda.asp

biking_brian

Reaction score
Sunday I went to my local Lowe's, without the water heater and explained my situation to the lady at the returns desk. She said if I had the water heater with me I could return it if I wasn't satisfied with the product. I mentioned that I had to go home and get it, so I was back with it about an hour later. There was a different person at the returns desk when I returned. She had to call a manager in the plumbing department to authorize the return. The conversation went like this:

Manager: "Are you going to exchange this for a new water heater?"
Me: "No."
Manager: "Why not?"
Me: "Because it's a piece of crap."
Manager: "You know, the other ones across the street (i.e., Home Depot) are the same ones made by American Water Heater Company."
Me: "No they're not."
Manager: "Are you sure?"
Me: "Yes, they're GE water heaters made by Rheem."

At that point he said nothing else to me, turned the cashier, and authorized the return. Finally, success!

The return process was less painful than I had expected. I felt a bit bad for the manager because it was obvious that he knew of the problems with these water heaters, but he probably had instructions from above to do some token push back on the returns.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sunday I went to my local Lowe's, without the water heater and explained my situation to the lady at the returns desk. She said if I had the water heater with me I could return it if I wasn't satisfied with the product. I mentioned that I had to go home and get it, so I was back with it about an hour later. There was a different person at the returns desk when I returned. She had to call a manager in the plumbing department to authorize the return. The conversation went like this:

Manager: "Are you going to exchange this for a new water heater?"
Me: "No."
Manager: "Why not?"
Me: "Because it's a piece of crap."
Manager: "You know, the other ones across the street (i.e., Home Depot) are the same ones made by American Water Heater Company."
Me: "No they're not."
Manager: "Are you sure?"
Me: "Yes, they're GE water heaters made by Rheem."

At that point he said nothing else to me, turned the cashier, and authorized the return. Finally, success!

The return process was less painful than I had expected. I felt a bit bad for the manager because it was obvious that he knew of the problems with these water heaters, but he probably had instructions from above to do some token push back on the returns.

Good For You!

Another satisfied Ex-Whirlpool Customer!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I love working on Whirlpool water heaters...every one I work on is a future sale of a real water heater when they finally get tired of throwing $$$ away or going without HW for a while...people tend to freak out when there is no HW...they will do without many things but HW tends to be one thing that is top of the list of not being with out...

CarlH

Reaction score
My parents were visiting this weekend and I mentioned that I was planning on replacing my water heater soon. He then tells me that he had recently stopped at Lowes to look at water heaters. I told him not to bother with that junk and told him to contact a plumber in his area to get a Bradford White.

Hey. This thread that will not die has saved yet another person from frustration...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My parents were visiting this weekend and I mentioned that I was planning on replacing my water heater soon. He then tells me that he had recently stopped at Lowes to look at water heaters. I told him not to bother with that junk and told him to contact a plumber in his area to get a Bradford White.

Hey. This thread that will not die has saved yet another person from frustration...

Thats all we hope for it to do!

removethehaze

Reaction score
Whirlpool Sucks

I just had my flame lock kit installed. Within four hours, it quit working. By the way, the plumber charged me $465.00 to install that little piece of junk.

I am going to have that same plumber replace the kit with a second one Friday. I can only hope it works. I have other problems, like a major leak from the in nipple. That cost $250.00 to replace.

Is this heat that bad??????

Did the plumber overcharge me for installing it????:eek:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I just had my flame lock kit installed. Within four hours, it quit working. By the way, the plumber charged me $465.00 to install that little piece of junk.

I am going to have that same plumber replace the kit with a second one Friday. I can only hope it works. I have other problems, like a major leak from the in nipple. That cost $250.00 to replace.

Let's see, you've spent $715.00 with your plumber to make two repairs on your water heater?

I'd say another $285.00 putting another kit in, bringing the grand total to $1000.00 to fix a water heater that'll break again...

I don't know.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score

Where do you live...Did he install that heater originaly...If yes What did he charge... do you use this plumber all the time???

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score

You're lucky you found someone to install it...
I don't repair whirlpool gas water heaters...
I replace them!

rbarton

Reaction score
I just found this thread two days ago. I wish I would have found it sooner! We have 5 of these units at my office. Ironically, a couple of them are still working with the original thermocouple. One had a replacement put in 2 months ago and it is still working. Then my boss decides to volunteer me to check on the last one to stop working. While searching for parts by model number, I came across this thread. Unbelievable!

I received a retro-fit kit from American Water Heater through Whirlpool on Wednesday and installed it yesterday. This particular water heater is located on a platform about 30 feet in the air in a warehouse. The kit consisted of the new manifold/door assembly, thermocouple adapter, and gas valve/thermostat.

I followed the instructions to the letter, just to ensure that nothing was overlooked. As I attempted to light the pilot light, it caught on the first push of the igniter. I held the pilot button down for about 60 seconds and released it. The pilot went out immediately. So I tried again 3 more times. When that didn't work, I detached and replaced the wire leads for the resettable thermocouple and made sure everything I had replaced was in order. Still nothing. Out of frustration, I held the stupid red pilot button down for 5 minutes and it went out as soon as released. Out went the pilot.

I have not contacted AWH or Whirlpool yet concerning this matter but I wanted to see if anyone else here has has this issue after installing their kit? I noticed that some of the kits mentioned seems to have different components than what mine came with. I could have easily overlooked this in reading over 18 pages of posts on this subject. There is a test in the instructions concerning checking the resettable thermocouple with a meter that I have not done as yet. I have to be lifted by forklift in order to gain access to the area the water heater resides in and have not been able to do that yet today. It seems to me that it would have to be either a faulty thermocouple setup or the gas valve/thermostat they furnished.

If any of you has seen this same thing with the new kit, please let me know. Thanks!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It may be the gas valve that is bad and not able to read the millivolts coming from the thermocouple...

rbarton

Reaction score
It may be the gas valve that is bad and not able to read the millivolts coming from the thermocouple...

Thanks for the input. Is there anything obvious I could have likely done to the new one to foul it up during installation? I used a large pipe wrench with rubber jaw covers to install it and tightened it to the last point I could where it was still in the proper operating orientation.

I know this is all just a band-aid even if it does work in the end. Still it is all I have to work with right now. I will likely perform the tcouple test on Monday to see how that works out.

Thanks again.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I just found this thread two days ago. I wish I would have found it sooner! We have 5 of these units at my office. Ironically, a couple of them are still working with the original thermocouple. One had a replacement put in 2 months ago and it is still working. Then my boss decides to volunteer me to check on the last one to stop working. While searching for parts by model number, I came across this thread. Unbelievable!

I received a retro-fit kit from American Water Heater through Whirlpool on Wednesday and installed it yesterday. This particular water heater is located on a platform about 30 feet in the air in a warehouse. The kit consisted of the new manifold/door assembly, thermocouple adapter, and gas valve/thermostat.

I followed the instructions to the letter, just to ensure that nothing was overlooked. As I attempted to light the pilot light, it caught on the first push of the igniter. I held the pilot button down for about 60 seconds and released it. The pilot went out immediately. So I tried again 3 more times. When that didn't work, I detached and replaced the wire leads for the resettable thermocouple and made sure everything I had replaced was in order. Still nothing. Out of frustration, I held the stupid red pilot button down for 5 minutes and it went out as soon as released. Out went the pilot.

I have not contacted AWH or Whirlpool yet concerning this matter but I wanted to see if anyone else here has has this issue after installing their kit? I noticed that some of the kits mentioned seems to have different components than what mine came with. I could have easily overlooked this in reading over 18 pages of posts on this subject. There is a test in the instructions concerning checking the resettable thermocouple with a meter that I have not done as yet. I have to be lifted by forklift in order to gain access to the area the water heater resides in and have not been able to do that yet today. It seems to me that it would have to be either a faulty thermocouple setup or the gas valve/thermostat they furnished.

If any of you has seen this same thing with the new kit, please let me know. Thanks!

I think the best thing for you to do with this water heater is disconnect it and load it onto the forklift to bring it down to where you can work on it comfortably.

As you go to move the forklift with the water heater on the forks perhaps let the clutch out a little fast with the foot on the gas to hard then hit the brake hard...

Oopppps! It was an accident...
Guess we better go pick up a Bradford White....

PeteV

Reaction score
homeremedy

My Whirlpool heater has now gone about 1 1/2 years after putting the third thermocouple in, along with the aluminum foil shield that I posted a picture of on 1/14/09. I know that a professional plumber could not legally do this, but for the average homeowner, it could alleviate alot of problems. My heater is now 4 1/2 years old, and in this part of the country, we only get about 6 years out of one usually.

aititi

Reaction score
Wish I'd caught this thread about 8 months ago. I'll keep trying to get it working but after reading this I expect I'll be replacing it in a couple months. Any recommendations, I will be installing it so no bradford white. How are the heaters Home Depot sells, GE's I think?

Anyway this thread has been a big help to me, I know to not waste money on the piece of junk and start saving for a new heater asap.

Edit: Looking at home depot they have 2 different models: PG40S09AVJ00 and GG40S06AVJ00 is one better than the other? I am low on cash atm, just graduated college and just started working so saving some money is good for me... But I don't want a heater that will not last even a year again...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks