clawfoot tub - 2 knob system and water usage

Users who are viewing this thread

drezboston

Reaction score
We have an issue where we are running out of hot water very quickly. I think it is due to the 2 knob (hot/cold) system in our clawfoot tub as well as our shower head.

The question is how can we reduce our water usage and thus not run out of water? we have a 40 gallon hot water heater and have enough for a bath but our shower quickly runs out of water.

Is there a system to change it to a single knob and is there an adaptor to be able to install a low flow showerhead? and if we do that will it cause leaking somewhere else?

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All modern showerheads sold in the US have a maximum flow rate of 2.5gpm. You can only get about 70% of the water out of a WH before it gets noticably cooler. You might want to just run it into a bucket and see how much it is actually flowing.

drezboston

Reaction score
update - what next

so I tested the water heater (40 gallons) by using a 5 gallon bucket and got about 27 or 28 gallons before it started to get cold so I think the water heater is fine. then I saw how much water was coming out and I think my current shower head is using like 5 gallons a minute as in 15 seconds we were over 1/4 of the bucket full and it was starting to get heavy.

I am attaching some pictures. what do you guys recommend? putting a bushing to attach the shower head or do I need something more drastic?

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 418

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The showerhead probably unscrews, and you can replace it with a new one. You might be able to get creative and (if you can find one) maybe insert a washer in it to restrict the flow some. If you raise the WH temp setting, you'll functionally get more hot since you'll dillute it with more cold. For safety, you may want to install a tempering valve at the WH. This would limit the max outlet temperature so you'd not have an accident at the shower, but still get the benefit of a larger amount of hot water available.

drezboston

Reaction score
plans - any swivelling attachments?

bought a 3/8x1/2 CP brass bushing and a kohler low flow CP k-8544 2.0gpm showerhead. I hope it has a ball bearing showerhead...

just in case it doesn't. Is there an attachment that serves only as a swiveling piece of pipe that can be used with any showerhead?

thanks!

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
bought a 3/8x1/2 CP brass bushing and a kohler low flow CP k-8544 2.0gpm showerhead. I hope it has a ball bearing showerhead...

just in case it doesn't. Is there an attachment that serves only as a swiveling piece of pipe that can be used with any showerhead?

thanks!

That kohler head adjusts, you will be fine

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks