electrical service anamoly

Users who are viewing this thread

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Last night I was awakened out of a deep sleep to three CO detectors (plug-in type) all blasting at the same time on two levels of our house. A very ominous sign ... It then became very apparent that something happened to our electrical supply since any lights turned on in the home glowed faintly (as if on a dimmer). Electronic thermostats and displays started flickering ... at that point I raced to the basement and throw the main in attempt to protect the house. At first I thought I may have lost a leg but then I would think some circuits would work and others wouldn't. It is -5F outside so it didn't take long for the home to turn into an icebox. Three hours later the utility company hadn't yet diagnosed the probrem, however, I decided to turn the breaker back on and it is back to normal? Any theories from the Electricians please?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Was it windy out? You could have a splice in the neutral and is freezing and pulling apart. Had that happen to me a few years ago, luckily it was only a hot leg, so just half the house worked. CL&Ps problem also.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What brand is the main panel...sounds like possibly a lose neutral at the mast head connection if you have one or somewhere else...

Was it windy?

Is the panel Federal Pacific?

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I don't believe it was windy last night. We have a GE panel (heard bad things about the federal pacific though). I couple of years ago NE Utilities had redone the lugs at our transformer and mast because of a intermittent dimming of light (which I forgot about). This time though it was dimmed for at least five minutes straight before I realized It may damage motors etc and I threw the main.

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Was it windy out? You could have a splice in the neutral and is freezing and pulling apart. Had that happen to me a few years ago, luckily it was only a hot leg, so just half the house worked. CL&Ps problem also.

Just curious, if one leg works and the other doesn't, could a 220V motor such as the well pump operate or be damaged?

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Just curious, if one leg works and the other doesn't, could a 220V motor such as the well pump operate or be damaged?

nope, just wont work... You should really call an electrician to check things out just to be safe, CL&P could easily miss something, plus if the problem is on the inside its your problem anyways...

The only time damage occurs is when you loose a neutral connection.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
since any lights turned on in the home glowed faintly (as if on a dimmer).

124v on one side of the house and 116v on the other side means 4v across the (bad) neutral connection.

rgsgww

Reaction score
Sometimes it isn't on your side...maybe poco lines arced?

Since you have a history of it happening before, I would have any main splices checked.

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I'm trying to get an answer to what the root cause was but my wife said there were numerous utility trucks at the bottom of our street and another mile up the road and so I suspect something happen to the lines... thanks for the feedback.

rgsgww

Reaction score
I'm trying to get an answer to what the root cause was but my wife said there were numerous utility trucks at the bottom of our street and another mile up the road and so I suspect something happen to the lines... thanks for the feedback.

Probably is...around here we always get outages. Lights dim and alarm system acts up all the time.

KE2KB

Reaction score
First thing I would do in a case like yours is to check with neighbours.
Also, I look out at the street lamps.

FW

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Are you positive there was no carbon monoxide? I know the whole house starting bugging out, but if the CO alarms went off I would still check it out on the off chance that both problems occurred at the same time.(electrical problem AND Carbon Monoxide leak). Probably chances are close to nil, but better safe than sorry.

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Are you positive there was no carbon monoxide? I know the whole house starting bugging out, but if the CO alarms went off I would still check it out on the off chance that both problems occurred at the same time.(electrical problem AND Carbon Monoxide leak). Probably chances are close to nil, but better safe than sorry.

Yes I'm positive ... in fact I cleaned the furnace and stack several days before. Once the power was back on, all CO detectors went back to 000.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Just checking.:)

Also, carbon monoxide can be produced in several ways. One being not enough combustion air in the heater room causing incomplete combustion which produces CO.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks