Under Cabinet Lighting with Transformer

Users who are viewing this thread

crabapplemcn

Reaction score
If doing Led or Xenon lighting, how exactly is the wiring done. Is a switch wired to an outlet which the transformer is plugged into? If so, where is the transformer typically placed? Then the lights are strung from the transformer I assume? What if I have a kitchen with cabinets on 2 walls but the walls are far apart and serperated by a hallway, how can I get lights from transformer under both sets of cabs? thanks

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
The transformer is usally placed on top of the cabinets, with the moulding at the top hiding it. As for two sets of cabinet rows, two transformers on two circuits.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
When have you ever known homeowners to meet code? That is why you guys have the license. As a homeowner, I try to stay within the codes as best as the situation requires, but if cannot do it, the job does not get done by myself.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
When have you ever known homeowners to meet code? That is why you guys have the license. As a homeowner, I try to stay within the codes as best as the situation requires, but if cannot do it, the job does not get done by myself.

See this post from another site.

This is becoming more and more true when time to reinsure a home today throughout the US

Things that are non-code compliant are being required to be brought to compliance before insurance can be bought.
I am working with a homeowner who is having problems on a house they bought two months ago and still have not gotten insurance as yet.
The bottom line is, no insurance no loan. They have already bought the home and the insurance company hired an Home Inspector thus the problems

Now if they can't get insurance they lose what they have paid down on the home which is a lot of money

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Is a switch wired to an outlet which the transformer is plugged into?

Yes

where is the transformer typically placed?

In a logical location. Sometimes in a cabinet, closet or pantry. Occaisionally on top of the cabinets.

Then the lights are strung from the transformer I assume?

The wiring is "strung" from the transformer

What if I have a kitchen with cabinets on 2 walls but the walls are far apart and serperated by a hallway, how can I get lights from transformer under both sets of cabs?

Up and over, down and under or through the walls. Or add a second transformer.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
IMO, it's only a technical problem.

They make rated wire but sometimes finding it isn't easy.

I think the last batch I bought was made for speaker wire because it had red/black in the round sheath.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Paste 411 and I'll give you my interpetation.

My book is at the office and I'm not going to make the 3 minute drive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks