Internal cable clamps and old wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
If you think that clamp closes the gap, you are smoking crack. That clamp is about an inch long and the cable is about 3/8 thick. Draw a picture and do the math. The gap in the opening is exactly as big with or without the clamp. Have you ever actually worked in the field?

And, there is NOTHING wrong with slipping sheathing over wires.

Guys like JW are just wound way too tightly and do not allow themselves to think freely.

I agree, I used to dislike 220, but then I realized I was just brainwashed by mike holts code forum. ;):D

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
So based on the last two replies I suppose that the letter of the codes can be thrown out the window when it is being done by someone other than a licensed person.

Right is Right and wrong is wrong no matter who is making the installation so if you decide to do as these idiots are telling you then more power to the lot to you.

If you decide that you want to make a professional installation then do it the right way.

The choice is yours and the battle will be between you and your insurance company should they ever need to do a pay off due to a jury rigged installation.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The choice is yours and the battle will be between you and your insurance company should they ever need to do a pay off due to a jury rigged installation.

I suspect that, at least with respect to homeowners, "The insurance won't pay" argument does not apply. I would like to see a citation from a real policy.

I have carefully examined my homeowners insurance policy, which is the contract between me and the company, and there is nothing in it about not paying for loss or injury resulting from work not done to code or without a permit, whether done by myself or others.

There may be something in a business policy but nothing in a homeowners policy that I have ever seen.

I am also familiar with provisions of professional policies such as "Errors and Omissions" policies that cover engineers and architects. They explicitly cover the consequences of errors and omissions, with some provisions that depend on the policy.

I'm calling your bet. Show 'em or I collect the pot.

JWelectric

Reaction score
I'm calling your bet. Show 'em or I collect the pot.

It will not be a matter of the insurance paying off or not as in most states the insurance will pay off.

It is a matter that the insurance company can and has counter sued for the loss due to an illegal installation or one that has not been documented by an inspection.

Come back

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Right is Right and wrong is wrong

That is exactly what your problem is.

Nothing in life is black and white. Everything is open to interpetation and judgement.

Just because it's the law doesn't make it right. I have proven that to you but of course did not get a response. Radicals can never win a debate because they are stuck on one thing. They do not allow anything in that doesn't fit their criteria.

I agree, I used to dislike 220, but then I realized I was just brainwashed by mike holts code forum.

Aw come on Chris. NOBODY dislikes me. I'm the nicest guy in the world ;)

You may dislike my opinions or disagree with how I present them but there is no way anyone could not love me ;)

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It will not be a matter of the insurance paying off or not as in most states the insurance will pay off.

It is a matter that the insurance company can and has counter sued for the loss due to an illegal installation or one that has not been documented by an inspection.

Come back

The homeowner's insurance company may sue the pro who installed something contrary to code, but they would have to show that it caused the loss.

In that case the installers insurance company should defend him and pay any judgement.

JWelectric

Reaction score
The homeowner's insurance company may sue the pro who installed something contrary to code, but they would have to show that it caused the loss.

In that case the installers insurance company should defend him and pay any judgement.

The insurance has also been known to sue the homeowner when noncompliant, non-permitted and non-inspected installations have been made.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Mike, all I can say is I have proven you wrong more than once on this site, so you can feel any way you want towards me, I am a PROFESSIONAL electrician, but I also live in the real world, not la-la land. :rolleyes:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The insurance has also been known to sue the homeowner when noncompliant, non-permitted and non-inspected installations have been made.

Please provide the case citation and verdict. I am very interested in any case where a homeowner's insurance company as sued the homeowner insured by the company. The legal basis should be interesting.

Last edited:

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
ive noticed alot of different thoughts on this issue some of them very adamate. But you do have to admit that by cutting the clamps off you are altering the ul listing of the box and by drilling other holes in the box you are doing the same. Also you are not making a code compliant instullation. Most likely a code official would turn you down if you had the required permit and inspections. How you resolve the issue is always best if you try to be compliant for everybodys sake.
Weather you try to do things right by code or not is a matter of conscience. But a good Electrician will always try to do a code compliant job.Because the code is for a reasonably safe system not a cheap way to do things.

JWelectric

Reaction score
Mike, all I can say is I have proven you wrong more than once on this site, so you can feel any way you want towards me, I am a PROFESSIONAL electrician, but I also live in the real world, not la-la land. :rolleyes:

I have never said that I am perfect and yes I do buy pencils with erasers on them but when it comes to telling someone to slide a piece of PVC sheathing where there was fabric sheathing is far from professional.

To even suggest replacing a piece of sheathing over the conductors is nothing short of criminal and there is nothing professional about it except those who want to be remembered as a professional %$&#*@

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
3M and many others have heatshrink tubing and wrap-around repair kits for ranges of voltages exceeding 1000 Volts. Many meet UL 224 requirements for cable jacketing. They can certainly be used safely to replace or repair jacketing on NM cable without risk of burning the house down.

http://www.intertech-eng.com.au/public/editor_images/Solution_Guide.pdf

http://www.electriciantalk.com/showthread.php?t=31

http://www.ablewire-cable.com/tables/165.html

http://www.dsgcanusa.com/products/product_lowvoltage.htm

http://www.portplastics.com/pec/heatshrink/sumisleeve.html

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/tocs/tocs.asp?doc=s&fn=0224.toc

http://www.alcomet.net/pdf/heatshrink.pdf

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
To even suggest replacing a piece of sheathing over the conductors is nothing short of criminal

What can POSSIBLY happen?

Use your imagination and stretch it to the limit. I could be wrong but I am drawing a blank on this one.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score

Use your imagination and stretch it to the limit. I could be wrong but I am drawing a blank on this one.

I'm not going to argue this one anymore, Mike is entitled to his opinion. I think I will start this thread on Mike Holts forum just for giggles.

JWelectric

Reaction score
3M and many others have heatshrink tubing and wrap-around repair kits for ranges of voltages exceeding 1000 Volts. Many meet UL 224 requirements for cable jacketing. They can certainly be used safely to replace or repair jacketing on NM cable without risk of burning the house down.

Budweiser makes one hell of a beer can and with a couple of hose clamps it makes a real good coupling for EMT also.

We all know that duck tape will hold a hood on at 200MPH so why not use a little duck tape to hold electrical things in place.

Just where did Joe go? No wonder he deleted the whole forum if this is the type of advice that was being given out by the members.

Just what do you teach your children? Is not right, right and wrong, wrong?

JWelectric

Reaction score
I'm not going to argue this one anymore, Mike is entitled to his opinion. I think I will start this thread on Mike Holts forum just for giggles.

I just looked and didn't find your post. Are you going to post a link here to it?

Well are ye or ain’t ye

Three hours later and still not done. Are you scared to make the post?

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Heh heh.....Can't answer the question huh? The question wasn't about beer cans or duct tape. Try again. Use your imagination but stick to cable sheath.

Just what do you teach your children? Is not right, right and wrong, wrong?

I teach my children to think for themselves. All I can offer is guidance.

Right is relative, NOT absolute. Dude, I barely made it thru high school and I know that much. If you have any ability to read and comprehend you would have at least acknowledged the points I've made showing this to be true.

Here is another question to skirt. Jesus is right according to Christians, Allah is right according to Muslims. Which is actually right?

JWelectric

Reaction score
Heh heh.....Can't answer the question huh? The question wasn't about beer cans or duct tape. Try again. Use your imagination but stick to cable sheath.

I teach my children to think for themselves. All I can offer is guidance.

Right is relative, NOT absolute. Dude, I barely made it thru high school and I know that much. If you have any ability to read and comprehend you would have at least acknowledged the points I've made showing this to be true.

Here is another question to skirt. Jesus is right according to Christians, Allah is right according to Muslims. Which is actually right?

There is nothing that you have said that comes clsoe to being code compliant therefore nothing to address.

I sure hope that as you teach your children to think for theirself you also teach them right from wrong.

I hope that you can answer the second question for yourself. If you can't then may the Great Spirit have mercey on your soul.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks