trouble removing old faucet - no room for basin wrench

Users who are viewing this thread

grundy

Reaction score
hello,

I'm trying to remove an old bathroom faucet. The bathroom counter is tile, and the cutout for the plywood is very tight - there is precious little room between the lock nuts, plywood and sink. There is not enough room to apply a basin wrench to the lock nuts.

What to do? Help?

Here are some photos (toothbrush for scale, and yes that's an old toothbrush kept under the sink for cleaning :)):

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some basin wrenches I've seen would fit.

But, if you took the water supply lines off and got some really deep sockets, you could probably get them loose that way. They make a fairly inexpensive set of plumbing sockets that should fit.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just take a drill and drill out the nut on one side,
Once you have it split, it will spin off easily.
Just make sure you have eye protection.

grundy

Reaction score
Just take a drill and drill out the nut on one side,
Once you have it split, it will spin off easily.
Just make sure you have eye protection.

that sounds like a winner!

thanks for the help.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I often cut the nut with a cut-off wheel in a Dremel tool then put my "Big Kahuna" screwdriver in the slot and twist. They come right off!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Redwood slaps himself upside the head and wakes up!

HJ is correct! Good luck on the topside!

grundy

Reaction score
yeah... drops down. which, I figured out after cutting the lock nuts. live and learn. anyway, the new faucet is installed, thanks for the help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
thankfully

HJ is correct! Good luck on the topside!

Phew! I was being told that the old clutch was slipping and was starting to worry about it. Although part of my serpantine belt destroyed itself today, and there appeared to be a squirrel foot among the parts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
belt

At first it sounded like rocks in the engine compartment and was not sure if it was a tow job or not. Once I got most of the shredded part out, the rest is wrapped around the fan hub, it ran quiet and was able to drive to the dealer without the rest of the belt disintegrating.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks