High End Kitchen Faucet Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

tkohn

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been lurking around this forum for a few weeks and have found tons of great advice, thank you.

I am getting a new pull-down kitchen faucet and am kinda torn between 2 models, the Delta Allora (989-SS) and Moen Showhouse Woodmere (S728SL). The Delta has a magnet that keeps the spout in place while the Moen uses a standard friction fitting, I do like the appearence of the Moen slightly better though...

Question - Anyone have any first hand knowledge or experience with either faucet?

Thanks!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
get the delta.....

theirs is simply much easier to repair
and it last longer too

That is a matter of opinion. ..

In my area, I find the moen alot easier to repair than the delta. I find moen parts more readily available than the delta. Even the most obscure check valves that the pullout sray/spout combos have are easier to find than delta parts

tkohn

Reaction score
I would expect that both the Moen and Delta would have parts readily available in my area. A sideline observation, from what I have read it seems that the Delta's (in general) require a bit more service but the parts are easy to get free direct from Delta, correct?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
moen posi temps....

I prefer the Delta for general principle....

once you have fought a few of those moen cartridges
that simply cannot come out short of an act of god...

you wish that it was a Delta for that reason alone..

parts are parts.... both are easy to get for FREE..

Delta is very , very easy to repair,

Moen can more often than not become a
literal MANHOOD CONTEST to get apart.
I have torn our out of a walll before.....

I dont like to curse that much in fromt of the
customer....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I feel that both are a good choice... I lean toward Moen on the basis of their great customer service. I hear the complaints of hard to remove cartridges and have yet to encounter one.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I admit I did have to manufacture a puller to get the cartidges out of a pair of new shower valves last year. Nice diversion :D. My only complaint with Moen, and it may be universal now, is those $#!* all-pictures, no-words instructions they're sending out these days.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
In our hard-water area, Moen cartridges can be difficult if not impossible to remove. Used to be only the brass cartridges got frozen in place because of a combination of lime buildup on the o-rings and the o-rings themselves hardening. But I've more recently had problems even with the plastic cartridges breaking in half, and leaving a section in the bottom of the chamber.

I've ruined countless aftermarket pullers for the brass cartridges. I always consider when working on one that I may be ripping out the wall. If the aftermarket cartridge puller doesn't work, there is no way to get it back out of the faucet.

michel1

Reaction score
If you want some information on installing kitchen faucet just have a look at this
• assemble the tools listed on the installation sheet included in the faucet box
• shut off the water supplies from the valves located under your sink & turn on the faucet to release pressure
• disconnect the tubes attached to the water supply valves. You may need to use a tubing cutter to cut the water supply pipes
Its a drawn out procedure if use need more information you can visit the sites that are available on net.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
this is the reason you want Delta.....

In our hard-water area, Moen cartridges can be difficult if not impossible to remove. Used to be only the brass cartridges got frozen in place because of a combination of lime buildup on the o-rings and the o-rings themselves hardening. But I've more recently had problems even with the plastic cartridges breaking in half, and leaving a section in the bottom of the chamber.

I've ruined countless aftermarket pullers for the brass cartridges. I always consider when working on one that I may be ripping out the wall. If the aftermarket cartridge puller doesn't work, there is no way to get it back out of the faucet.

your post says it all.....
I have literally been in tears trying to get
half of a plastic posi-temp cartridge out
of a second story shower faucet before....
what should have been a 20 min job turns into
3 hours...

I have had to change out a good handful of Moen faucets
where they literally wont come out...

and for many of the moen lavatory and kitchen faucets it
takes majic or a miracle to get them off without scarring them all up
in the effort of removeing them just to get to the innards..

all I know is
at least with delta you got a fighting chance
10 years from now

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks