(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Constant Pressure or Standard Submersible?

Previous member

There is no reason to have a valve between the tank and pressure switch. And it should be removed. That is why your pressure is dropping so fast. You are eliminating the tank. Where else is the water going to go? Nowhere; so the instant pressure up and down.

Why your pump is pumping slow may be a plugged screen in the well. If you have sediment buildup on the piping, it will do the same thing to a well screen if you have one.

bob...

Thanks Bob. I'm actually going to try to see if there might also be sediment buildup at the gauges. I already had sediment cleaned out near the switch.

If I were going to do this, would I simply switch off the jet pump, close the valve between the tank and pump, and remove the gauges (there are 2) to clean them, and then put them back on with some thread compound?

I believe that's what the guy did when we cleaned the line to the switch, but I wanted to double check before I do this.

As for the valve - I can open and close that, but are you suggesting that it's a problem even when open? Technically, this valve is between the pump and the pressure tank, but I'm assuming that's the same thing as being between the tank the switch - yes?

Previous member

The gauges might be plugged up, but when they are, they usually don't register anything but one pressure. In other words the needle won't move at all. Yes you can turn off the pump and release the pressure and (I would replace them) check the gauges.

That valve can be opened like you said. But if someone else closes it, and goes away, your pump can cycle itself to death in short order. I would get rid of it.

If a valve is between the pump and tank or switch, it's a no-no.

bob...

Valves can fail nearly shut, such as a gate valve that drops its gate.

If you can verify that it is not plugged in any way, you can take the handle off if that is easier than removing it from the system.

If it is a gate valve you can sometimes remove the gate to make sure it doesn't ever fail shut.