Power Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
Has anyone out there added a power vent to an existing (gas-fired and gravity vented) heating and h.w system. A friend of mine owns a 2 family and the 2nd floor has a separate forced hot water system and h.w heater. The 1st floor has the same exact system and vents into the chimney, however the 2nd floor boiler and hot water heater are on the other side of the cellar and vent through the foundation out the side of the house. It works fine but it's vented out the side of the house under the deck, it's a gravity vent. The tenants have complained about the smell which I'm assuming is carbon monoxide. I suggested adding a power vent. My question is can you vent the hotwater heater and forced hotwater boiler out the side with a power vent ( I suggested going with the SWG power venter) and if so I imagine that the vents coming out of the boiler and hot water heater have to be sealed for the power vent. Any help would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No...the fixture must be designed for forced exhaust/induction.

Unless the device was designed to vent out a sidewall, it is not safe, either. A normal exhaust system relies on the heat to help move the exhaust out as it rises. Running it out the sidewall won't provide the right draft.

Also, terminating it under a deck is dangerous, and would likely fail any inspection. My guess is that this installation was not permitted or inspected. Your tenants are at risk, and so are you if someone gets sick or dies.

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless (as is carbon dioxide). What they are smelling is more likely the result of inefficient burning because of a lousy draft, and could contain sulfur or hydrocarbons from the fuel.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
dubldare said:
Actually, you can. But it is much cheaper, and less of a pain in the butt to just buy a heater designed as such.

http://www.tjernlund.com/

More than likely the local authority would never sign off on a heating device that wasn't designed from the mfg as a complete unit.

I'm sure it would work no problems......but the state wouldn't want the liability if it faultered.

Bring on the heat

Reaction score
Can I do the Opposite

Dear plumbing gods: Can I take a power vented water heater, remove the vent blower and place the water heater into a natural draft installation? If I can, how do I over ride the logic in the system says "OK" to the burner after the blower (now removed) comes on?

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do not know for certain if power vent can be converted to a flue vent. My gut tells me no, but I'm not a pro. My question to you is why would you want to do this? One of the advantages of a power vent is they are economical to operate. The major drawback to a power vent in my opinion is that once you put one in you would likely remove the flue. This means you are pretty much committed to a power vent from that point on. Even if it is possible to convert a flue vent heater to a power vent or a power vent to a flue vent, both doubtful, it would not be a DIY job. It absolutely would have to be inspected or your homeowners insurance would be void if there was a fire. Mess up with natural gas and you and your family might be void also.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The tenants have complained about the smell which I'm assuming is carbon monoxide.

A gas appliance that is burning correctly will produce ZERO carbon monoxide, only carbon Dioxide among other things.

The flu gases contain aldehydes and such and this is what irritates the senses and is why you shouldn't be dumping the products of combustion under a deck like that.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fan

A draft inducer fan will INCREASE any negative pressure problem, since it will ALSO be drawing addtional air from the area. You have to ELIMINATE the cause of the negative pressure, not try to overpower it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks