Pedestal Sink Question

Users who are viewing this thread

CeeZee

Reaction score
I'm going to replace the vanity in my powder room and am hoping that I can instead put in a pedestal sink (to visually open up the very small space). The size of the powder room is 36" x 70" so it's quite small. As you open the door, the toilet is on the right and a 36" wide vanity is on the left. I'm going to take out the vanity and replace it with something smaller, hopefully a pedestal sink.

My question is this:
The hot and cold water feeds plus the drain pipe go out through the floor. The water feeds are 8" apart and 4" from the back wall. The drain pipe is between them and 5" from the back wall. All of the installation directions for pedestal sinks that I've found show the hook-up to the pedestal sink with the feeds and drain pipe going out through the wall. If I choose a relatively wide-based pedestal sink can I leave the feeds as they are now? This is the sink that I'm considering.

abak_soiree_1.jpg

Pictured with Soiree lav and toilet by TOTO.

I just had a UltraMax installed (love it!) and I think this sink will go very well with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prashster

Reaction score
There's no problem with the supply lines coming up through the floor. If you don't want to move them, you can hide them however you wish.

The drain pipe going down through the floor troubles me, though. You must have an s-trap right now, or at least a very long drop to the trap.

Sink drains are supposed to be vented after the trap before transitioning down through the floor. This means that the drain should go into the wall, and you shouldn't have to hide any footprint on the floor with a pedestal.

CeeZee

Reaction score
Thanks prashter,

I just checked all the bathroom sinks in the house. The one in the powder room is the only one to go directly into the floor, all the others go into a wall.

It certainly must be an s-trap (I googled s-trap and first item that came up looks just like mine). My house is 23 years old and I live in a very strict zoining area so it must have been okay at that time or it'd never passed. Should this be changed? To re-route that would be quite a job I think. When I showed this setup to my plumber as I was discussing the changes I wanted to make, he didn't mention that the drain was a problem. At that time I was pretty set on just getting a new vanity. I do know that he didn't like putting in pedestal sinks–said they were always difficult.

Prashster

Reaction score
Well, I'm no pro. As always I defer to the advice of pros.
If it hasn't been a problem for you ever and your construction office was/is fine with it, then I wouldn't change it.

Personally, I have a pedestal and I hate it. No place to conceal extra rolls of TP and soap. I end up putting this in a basket under the sink anyway. Also, if you have kids, a pedestal sink is a pain to use. No flat surface for them to pump the handsoap on...

Just my 2c.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
CeeZee said:
I'm going to replace the vanity in my powder room and am hoping that I can instead put in a pedestal sink (to visually open up the very small space). The size of the powder room is 36" x 70" so it's quite small. As you open the door, the toilet is on the right and a 36" wide vanity is on the left. I'm going to take out the vanity and replace it with something smaller–hopefully a pedestal sink.

I just had a UltraMax installed (love it!) and I think this sink will go very well with it.

The pros will sort out the plumbing for you.

Regarding the sink selection-You are correct-that Toto Soiree would look good with the Ultramax toilet.
One problem imo however-it's too wide. I was in a similar situation--and the pedastal sink really opened up the space.
Pedastal is the only way to go with that tiny space--you are right on the money.
This Kohler-Memoirs is a good option and it's 5 1/2 inches smaller in width.
Lots of space options on the market. Go vertical for storage.
Even small vanities have around 10 feet of negative wasted space-and thats huge in a tiny bath like that.

The Memoirs also has a lot of surface space for toiletries whereas most do not.

I also saved space by using one towel ring for hand towel.
Try not to use towel bars. (more wasted space)
Looks great.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecata...=172002&prod_num=2238-1&section=2&category=16

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

CeeZee

Reaction score
Thanks Mike50 and prashter,

The Kohler sink is beautiful but too traditional for what I have in mind. I'll take a look a what else they offer, tho. I'd like to find something a little more streamlined with cleaner lines.

What I would most like to get is a small vanity that goes to the floor but still doesn't take up too much space ... these are very hard to find. I did find one but it is very expensive. By the time you get the faucet, it ends up being nearly two grand.

It's the Forms + Figures Yang Espresso. It has a tapered style with a granite top and you can get a vessel sink. (It's the one on the left.)

http://formsandfixtures.com/yangexpresso.htm

I think it would be perfect (I too would like someplace to store toilet paper, etc. and the sink and/or countertop has to be able to have soap sitting on it). A pedestal is my reluctant second choice if I can't find an affordable vanity. But two grand is a lot to spend. I'm still searching ...

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Right. The size limitation is the issue. I did a similar search you are doing.
I'd appreciate it if you let me know what you find.

As you know small vanities are easy to find at your local big box for 50 bucks...and that's exactly what they look like. j u n k.

good luck...

Mike

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
tread carefully

putting in a pedistle lavatory where
a vanity used to set can be a pain in the neck...

if the water lines are far back enough it wont be
trouble for them....

but that drain line can turn into a mess if
it comes up through the floor anywhere
near the china base....

sounds like you will have to be installing an S trap
to make the drain work...

its best to lay it out first and make sure your
water and drain are not too near the pedistle stand...

with the drain comming up through the floor it might
not turn out as pretty as you would like it to...

CeeZee

Reaction score
Thanks Mark,

The two water feeds are 4" from the wall and the drain is 5" from the wall. Both of those measurements are from the back wall to the front of the feed(s). I'm not having an easy time finding out the exact specs for each pedestal. I'm sure the info is out there somewhere!

Are you saying that these three feeds should be behind the pedestal's footprint? I sorta thought that the pedestal actually surrounded them – but now I'm not sure? It's clear I need to do more research into how this all works. I don't want to throw a huge problem at my plumber if I don't have to.

Edit: Aha, just watched a video of a pedestal installtion. The bottom of the pedestal is bolted to the floor. There is no opening for feeds there. Now I see I really do need to find a vanity.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
the pretty Kohler pictures

we get this all the time when some lady wants
to put in some pretty pedistle sink that they see
in the Kohler catalogue

the pictures DO NOT show the plumbing

that must be installed......

some people think that somehow the plumbing
is some how going to snake up through that china stand and
somehow magically just fit......

once the plumbing is explained to lots of people

the dream and bubble gets burst and they

opt for another vanity...

CeeZee

Reaction score
yep ... that's me, for sure :D

Now, to find a small vanity that looks and is built like it cost two grand but doesn't!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks