Vanity Backsplash

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome8283

Reaction score
I purchased my marble vanity top without a backsplash and now I'm thinking I should purchased it with it. The vanity sits in a corner where the wall is a little uneven. I'm guessing the backsplash would cover the wall imperfections? Is there anything I can do without the backsplash?

I went without the backsplash because there will be a vessel style bowl and very little or no water splash.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would recommend a backsplash. It will hide any imperfections in the fit between the vanity and the wall and just adds a finished look. You can use a 1x5 or 1x6 piece of solid Oak or other nice wood to will match your decor. Route an ogee or other nice edge on the top and sides. A piece of 1/4" quarter round attached with caulking will finish the edge across the bottom.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Great Idea! The vanity was custom built and will be stained shortly. I could do an Oak backsplash to match the vanity. This will work well. Thanks!

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Gary, does it matter whether the backsplash is installed behind the countertop or on top? Usually there on top right?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
or plaster

FWIW, since i noticed you said there won't back a splash problem, consider just letting someone who is good with a big trowel make a smooth-finish plastered wall that you paint. Even drywall compound can be used. It takes a big trowel, and a certain amount of ability.

The advantage is that your eyes are now focused on the big beautiful thing you bought, the marble top. Instead of adding more visual stimuli around it. Less is better, to highlight the beauty of the beautiful things. The right paint can enhance its colors.

I would plaster the wall right to the marble. but then again, i haven't seen your vanity and the rest of the room.

david

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I finished the custom vanity install but haven't permanently installed the backsplash yet. I have pics that I will forward later so you all can let me know what you think. Thanks again!

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Here are some pics. As I said, the backsplash is not secured yet. I just have it laying there until I decide what I'm gonna do.

Attachments

• vanity 1.JPG
    vanity 1.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_9472.JPG
    IMG_9472.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 583

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Just my opinion.... ditch the backsplash...unless you've really got a bad gap problem. Maybe even use a simple trim painted same color as wall.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
It's a piece of trim that I stained the same color as the stained vanity. I do not plan to do more.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I like the vanity look but lose the backspalsh...
Looks nice - just have the wall re-floated to be smooth...

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Definitely would look simpler and more elegant without the trim/backsplash. It breaks up the visual aspect... lots of times, in decorating and design...less is better!

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will post pics of the vanity without the backsplash.There is a gap but perhaps it's not that bad.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In the end you will make your own decision. Either way, it's going to look nice.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Your right Randy. I'm just looking for opinions to support my thoughts. I have come to the conclusion that I will use a piece of quarter round painted the same color as the wall.

Here are pics of the gaps as well as the rest of the renovated guest bathroom.

Attachments

• rear gap.JPG
    rear gap.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 392
  • left gap.JPG
    left gap.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_9481.JPG
    IMG_9481.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_9482.JPG
    IMG_9482.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_9484.JPG
    IMG_9484.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 337

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Here are before pics..

Attachments

• IMG_9251.JPG
    IMG_9251.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_9250.JPG
    IMG_9250.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_9254.JPG
    IMG_9254.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 323

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I REALLY like the glass shower.... got any info on it? Parts, materials, "How To"?

As for those gaps... I think I'd just use a very good paintable caulk or as someone else mentioned, build up the wall with drywall mud. They're big but not so big that they couldn't be worked with. Another possibilty is just the opposite...dig out/cut out the dry wall so the cabinet top will fit at the outside corners....then use a little caulk to make it pretty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks