(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vanity Backsplash

Default Vanity Backsplash

I purchased my marble vanity top without a backsplash and now I'm thinking I should purchased it with it. The vanity sits in a corner where the wall is a little uneven. I'm guessing the backsplash would cover the wall imperfections? Is there anything I can do without the backsplash?

I went without the backsplash because there will be a vessel style bowl and very little or no water splash.

I would recommend a backsplash. It will hide any imperfections in the fit between the vanity and the wall and just adds a finished look. You can use a 1x5 or 1x6 piece of solid Oak or other nice wood to will match your decor. Route an ogee or other nice edge on the top and sides. A piece of 1/4" quarter round attached with caulking will finish the edge across the bottom.

Great Idea! The vanity was custom built and will be stained shortly. I could do an Oak backsplash to match the vanity. This will work well. Thanks!

Gary, does it matter whether the backsplash is installed behind the countertop or on top? Usually there on top right?

On top of the countertop is the way to do it.

Default or plaster

FWIW, since i noticed you said there won't back a splash problem, consider just letting someone who is good with a big trowel make a smooth-finish plastered wall that you paint. Even drywall compound can be used. It takes a big trowel, and a certain amount of ability.

The advantage is that your eyes are now focused on the big beautiful thing you bought, the marble top. Instead of adding more visual stimuli around it. Less is better, to highlight the beauty of the beautiful things. The right paint can enhance its colors.

I would plaster the wall right to the marble. but then again, i haven't seen your vanity and the rest of the room.

david

Thanks guys. I finished the custom vanity install but haven't permanently installed the backsplash yet. I have pics that I will forward later so you all can let me know what you think. Thanks again!

Here are some pics. As I said, the backsplash is not secured yet. I just have it laying there until I decide what I'm gonna do.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Just my opinion.... ditch the backsplash...unless you've really got a bad gap problem. Maybe even use a simple trim painted same color as wall.

Default counter

Stained? It looks like common plywood, so you must be going to do more than just stain it.

It's a piece of trim that I stained the same color as the stained vanity. I do not plan to do more.

I like the vanity look but lose the backspalsh...
    Looks nice - just have the wall re-floated to be smooth...

Definitely would look simpler and more elegant without the trim/backsplash. It breaks up the visual aspect... lots of times, in decorating and design...less is better!

Thanks guys. I will post pics of the vanity without the backsplash.There is a gap but perhaps it's not that bad.

In the end you will make your own decision. Either way, it's going to look nice.