gpm compatability

Users who are viewing this thread

pkirkes

Reaction score
I have found a 12" rain shower head with a 4.0 gpm flow, am remodeling to shower only bath..........................do mixing valves have varying gpm ratings? and is it necessary for the gpm rating of a shower head to be compatable with that of the mixing valve?

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
pkirkes said:
I have found a 12" rain shower head with a 4.0 gpm flow, am remodeling to shower only bath..........................do mixing valves have varying gpm ratings? and is it necessary for the gpm rating of a shower head to be compatable with that of the mixing valve?

When I was researching mixing vales I don't remember seeing any with a GPM rating lower than about 6. I wasn't looking hard because I was looking for mixing valve with > 12 gpm capacities.

As far as I can tell (I am not a professional) all you need is a mixing vale vthat can deliver more than 4 gpm. Of course, that will mean that your inputs should each deliver better than 4 gpm ... but that's a pretty low bar.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

That must be a very "piddling" shower head. 4 gpm through it would be an almost nonexistant "shower". A common single orifice head uses about 2.5 gpm, and your head could have a hundred or more although each is much smaller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks