Any ways to silence a pressure assist tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joerg

Reaction score
After the umpteenth shipment we did get an A/S Yorkville that actually worked and wasn't shattered. Wow. Anyhow, since a half year or so that means we have a guest bath again. But that pressure assist tank is really noisy. One of our dogs takes off in a panic whenever the royal flush cometh. I guess it's also embarrassing for guests when they push the lever and then "KAPOW ... VROOOOSH". Archie Bunker's toilet at 704 Houser Street (All in the Family) was nothing compared to a pressure-assist.

Are there any tricks of the trade to quiet them down a bit?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Reaction score
Thanks, Cass. Looks like we have to live with it then. I don't want to go through that botched-delivery ordeal again. It was a nightmare to get one that actually worked.

Maybe I try something with pressure reducers. At least that ought to muffle the "vrooosh" part of it.

Regards, Joerg.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most rear outlet floor mount toilets are pressure assist now.

Briggs does make a gravity version, that uses the vacuity tank fittings.
I know they say vacum, but it sure works like a 2" flapper gravity in practice.

Joerg

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. Interesting, maybe I could try that other tank on it. It's not much of a problem in the hallway where the guest bath is. I remember you mentioning that your Glenwall can be heard from a few miles away as well :D

But I'd hate to have one of these in our master bath. Getting older means having to go at night sometimes. Then, KAPOW - VROOOSH.

Regards, Joerg.

Last edited by a moderator:

TPA

Reaction score
Closing the seat before flushing can help, but pressure assist toilets are noisy by the nature of their design.

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
From the FAQs published on the Flushmate Website:

Why does it sound different than a gravity toilet?

While there is no way to control the sound of a Flushmate-equipped toilet, there are essentially three factors to consider.

The first factor is the environment in which the toilet is installed. The perceived noise level of a toilet flushed in a relatively small powder room, with ceramic tile flooring, flat bare walls and hard counter tops will be significantly different than that of the same toilet flushed in a large master suite bathroom, with more architectural features to break up the area into smaller sub-sections and softer floor and wall treatments. The noise levels produced by the toilet itself will be essentially the same, but the makeup of the surrounding environment will have a distinct influence on the perceived level of noise.

Secondly, the characteristics of the toilet will have a direct influence on the nature and levels of sound produced during flushing. By design, the majority of water released with each flush is directed to a jet located at the bottom of the toilet bowls water reservoir. The intent of this is to use the force of the water jet to eliminate the waste and water from the bowl and move it into the trap-way of the bowl. There is a unique phenomenon associated with this. If you will observe the jet of a pressure assist toilet during the flush cycle, you will note that there is a distinct change in noise when the water level in the bowl drops below that of the jet. The reason for this is that the water covering the jet absorbs and dampens a significant amount of the noise produced by the water exiting the jet. When the water level drops below the jet, this dampening effect is lost. This factor is a characteristic of the bowls design. During development of a toilet bowel, a careful balance is established between the volume of water passing through the jet to evacuate the bowl, and the volume of water directed to the rim to wash down the sides of the bowl and refill it. Please keep in mind that the volume of water directed to the jet must be sufficient to clear the waste and carry it through the drain system.

The third factor is the pressure assist system itself. The system is designed to operate with the mandated 1.6 gallons of water and produce a flush that clears the bowl of waste and ensures it is carried through the waste system. To accomplish this, the system moves a significant percentage of the allowable water through the jet in a short period of time. Anytime we move a fluid through a rigid passageway noise is generated. Our testing has shown that while the peak noise levels generated by a pressure assist toilet may be slightly greater than with a gravity toilet, the noise level builds up and drops off faster with the pressure assist system. This could be summarized by saying the noise level is slightly greater but of shorter duration.

It's not really an answer to your question but it does explain the noise level in a logical fashion.

Joerg

Reaction score
Thanks, Scott. I had read that one. Much of it is IMHO marketing fluff.

"... a careful balance is established between the volume of water passing through the jet to evacuate the bowl ...". I don't see that happen. The jet wins every single time. In view of the dimensional "accuracy" I have seen I can't imagine how they want to control that.

"Our testing has shown that while the peak noise levels generated by a pressure assist toilet may be slightly greater than with a gravity toilet, the noise level builds up and drops off faster with the pressure assist system." Yeah, right. That is not the case here. "...slightly greater ...", that almost made me roll on the floor :)

Some day I'll try a pressure reducer in front of it. Won't stop the initial KAPOW but it should help with the VROOOSH part of the flush. But many of the ones in the hardware stores have that dreaded weep hole and I won't use those indoors. They always say they won't leak and then they do anyway.

Regards, Joerg.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks