new bathroom taps - smell of bad eggs-help!

Users who are viewing this thread

chrisbrankin

Reaction score
hi

i had a new bathroom installed a few weeks ago, complete renovation, new pipes etc.

i now get a strong bed egg smell when the hot water SINK tap is turned on after not using for an hour or so (ONLY the sink, bath next to it has no problems!?*)

the smell lasts for about 20 seconds and then clears

there is a much less noticeable smell from the cold sink tap

it is defiinitely not a drain problem

if i leave the taps just dripping overnight - no smell in the morning

i hope someone can help because i have run out of ideas and so has everyone else!

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Do you know what type of water pipe your house is plumbed with and did they use the same type / kind of pipe for the new bathroom?

chrisbrankin

Reaction score
hi cass
thanks for reply
they plumbed new copper pipe onto the old copper pipe, for the last metre to the taps they used white braided plastic with chrome end pieces to connect to the copper and tap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's the lav faucet with flex supplies, consider changing them.

I know someone that after replacing a kitchen faucet had a taste problem. Before the faucet had been replaced, they had been drinking from it all the time. They gave up on it for some time though, buying bottled water at the grocery store. It was the only faucet in the house that had bad taste.

Changed out the supplies, and the water was fine again.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Im with Terry. Replace the supply lines with braded stainless steel ones.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks