(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Mansfield 1.6 flush problem

Unhappy Mansfield 1.6 flush problem

I've recently moved into an 8 year old home that is equipped with mansfield 1.6 flush toilets. The problem we keep having is that often times they do not flush completely or get stopped up and we have to use a plunger. Do I have to replace these toilets or is there something I can do to generate a stronger flush pressure?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can replace them. They are most likely cheap builder grade toilets, you get what you pay for.

My daughter had them in her new home, long story.

The weekend she move in I offered to take them to the dump and replace them with Toto toilets.
    She was a bit bugged with me, after all, it was a new home with new plumbing.

They plugged up all three Mansfield toilets the first weekend. When I would go over there, there was a plunger by every toilet.
    Two Christmass ago, she asked if I would still replace the darn things.
    I did, and she hasn't needed the plungers since.
    Last edited by Terry; 12-02-2006 at 07:43 AM.

Hasn't there been a law, rule, or some regulation made to limit the amount of water it takes to flush a toilet? Seems that I read something on this concerning water conservation or something of that sort.....

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

In the USA, a toilet can't use more than 1.6 US gallons/flush. It doesn't say how well the toilet has to work, though. When the change was implemented, many manufacturers didn't do the engineering to make it work well, and this is still true today. You need to be careful and do some research to find models and brands that work. Even within a brand, there are better and poorer versions, you can't just go by a brand name, even if it once was good.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

That law applied to all toilets manufactured after ( approx) 1992.

Yeppers... that's what I thought.. it was in my code book and I haven't read that thing since I took my master's exam.