Stupid question about dishwasher plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

toomanyquestions

Reaction score
If your dishwasher is installed in a peninsula at a 90 degree angle to the sink - where does the plumbing go? I'm looking at my (newly installed) cabinets and I see the sink base with the pipe coming out of the wall into the base cabinet. Then there's trash pullout cabinet to the left of that - Then there's a filler to the corner - The corner turns and there's another filler - another cabinet and an open 24" space for the dishwasher and then another cabinet attached to the floor. So how does the water get into the dishwasher and how does it get out? Thru the floor? The newly tiled floor?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The hot water is usually split from the sink supply. The drain is via a hose that attaches to the sink drain. The hose must either be looped above the height of the DW or into an air gap which is usually installed in the sink, but could be in the counter top.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
toomanyquestions said:
If your dishwasher is installed in a peninsula at a 90 degree angle to the sink - where does the plumbing go? I'm looking at my (newly installed) cabinets and I see the sink base with the pipe coming out of the wall into the base cabinet. Then there's trash pullout cabinet to the left of that - Then there's a filler to the corner - The corner turns and there's another filler - another cabinet and an open 24" space for the dishwasher and then another cabinet attached to the floor. So how does the water get into the dishwasher and how does it get out? Thru the floor? The newly tiled floor?

You didn't say how many pipes were coming out the wall.

Is this new construction or a remodel? Who ever is doing the plumbing should be asked. Can you see any water piping anywhere?

toomanyquestions

Reaction score
I know nothing about any of this - so first question:
What's an airgap?

I only see pipes coming out of the sink base. But that's around the corner and 3 cabinets away from the space where the dishwasher is to go. I don't think anything can be run through the cabinets - they're drawers and pull outs - where do you put anything? And under the counter? Where? It's a peninsula. Neither the counter nor the dishwasher back onto a wall. There's just a skin to cover the whole stretch of the back of the cabinets and the dishwasher.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Since we can not see anything from here and your knowledge is limited I would suggest you ask the plumber doing the job, then if you have questions you will be better informed and be able to answer any questions we may need answered in order to respond to you.

toomanyquestions

Reaction score
Just spoke to my GC - he said it's going thru the floor. Said that in this configuration it's better to have everything in place and then he just goes thru the floor into the crawl space and the plumber does his thing there.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
sink_dw.jpg

An airgap is a device (usually mounted in the sink hole that might have been used for a sprayer hose instead) used to prevent backflow of drain water discharged from the dishwasher back into the dishwasher. They are required by code in some places, but if the dw drain hose is looped higher than the dw, that usually suffices for the same thing.
The drain hose from the dw is attached to the airgap on one side, and there is another length of drain hose from the airgap to the dw drain hose attachment above the trap.
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

toomanyquestions

Reaction score
I don't get it - If the water that's draining goes UP - why wouldn't it slide back? One would think that the drain should go straight down? Obviously, I'm missing something...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there is a clog in the drain, especially if you use a garbage disposal, without an air gap, you can pump crud into your dishwasher. If the hose isn't routed properly, it can happen as well. The air gap prevents that from happening.

toomanyquestions

Reaction score
ohhhhhhhhhhh......

If I'm not using a disposal - and the installer installs it correctly - I believe in the manual it does say something about a high loop - then I don't need to worry about an air gap, correct?

And It can loop up from the DW and then down thru the floor?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends on where you live and your risk aversion quotient. Some places require an air gap, regardless, and it isn't a bad idea anywhere.

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
Keep it high and clip it.

I'm in Mass and a air gap is not required. Simply take the dishwasher drain hose and clip it above the disposal or the tailpiece and you should be fine. Like everyone else is saying you don't want the water from the sink backing up into the dishwasher. That's why you want to keep it above whatever it is draining into.

firsttymehomebuyer

Reaction score
air gap question

Funny I should stumble across this tonight.

We just bought a house, and noticed when the kitchen sink sprayer is in place, then water leaks under the sink.

So we just have the sprayer laying in the sink for now instead of in the stand.

Well, I ran the dishwasher for the first time tonight, and there was standing water in it, that started leaking out onto the floor.

I shut it off and wet-vacced the water out of the dishwasher.

But ... until I get the plumber to come in here ... is this related to the sprayer issue I mentioned above??

Thanks in advance.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you've got a leaking sprayer connection and either the dishwasher is being shut off before it pumps all the water out or it is siphoning/runnin back in from the kitchen sink drain. Make sure the dw drain hose is looped up higher than the sink drain.

firsttymehomebuyer

Reaction score
I don't even see a dishwasher drain hose ... just the sink, the garbage disposal and the sprayer hose.

Thanks.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
open anew thread for this

hi firsttimer!

at the top left, click on new thread and type it all in again. Or copy and paste and edit.

You'll get people to work for you, on your need.

But nobody is going to come over and show you where to look behind your dishwasher or deep back under the sink to find the dishwasher drain hose. ;)

david

firsttymehomebuyer

Reaction score
I was just stating a fact that I didn't see that particular hose ... :p

The dishwasher's under the home warranty, so I will call them tomorrow ... that's why I didn't start a new thread.

Thanks.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you have a garbage disposer the DW drain will probably be connected to the bottom of it. It is usually a hose that looks like it has a spring in it and will be held on with some type of hose clamp.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dw

I would run the drain through the cabinets on the floor behind the drawers and then make the high loor at the sink. If you do it at the dishwasher, then you will have another rise in the drain at the disposer, and the high loop at the DW would contribute to siphoning all the water out of the hose back to the DW if the check valve, assuming there is one at the pump, does not seal properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks