Two Drains...

Users who are viewing this thread

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a drain that goes to my tub and one that goes to my shower. When I drain the tub I see a slight "bubbling/gurgling" in the drain of the shower. When it is all over there is still plenty of water in the trap of the shower, but I'm curious if this is normal or not. There is no chance for a clog since this is new work, done by a licensed plumber. He indicated that this is fine and normal as the trap is still full.

What say you guys?

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What to do? It passed inspection, plumber says it is just the way it is due to the location of fixtures. :confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gurgle

It may be the way it is because of the location of the fixtures, but it is also because he must have done the piping improperly, even if it was inspected. He probably has the two connected together before they reach the vent and the venturi effect of the tub water draining is pulling air through the shower drain. It is siphoning it, but there is enough residual water to maintain the seal. Run some water in the shower to fill the trap, measure how far down the water level is, drain the tub, and then remeasure. If the water level is lower you are getting siphonage and that is not normal.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thank you hj. I'll take the measurements you indicated and post back in a day or two. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks