Plumbing Experts: Choosing bathroom faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
I am looking at Grohe Eurodisc Lavato faucet but now I'm wondering if I have to pay attention to where this is mounted in relation to the drain in the sink:confused:

When choosing some of these European made/styled faucets is there anything we need to pay attention to as far as function?

I will be using a Kohler 18" x 16" cast iron self-rimmed sink.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Really, any faucet should mount on any sink, as long as you have the right hole spread. The drain should not matter. You should be able to get it connected.

Most plumbers think reliability and repairability, and availability of parts......ahead of design and style. But you have to live with it. If you love a certain faucet, go ahead. Please save all the documents which come with it so you will have an easier time looking for parts down the road, because you wont find them at HD, and probably not in stock anywhere, but you will be able to order them/

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Even if I love something, if most plumbers think getting parts would be a PIA then I won't buy the faucet. Although I'd like something good looking, function is #1 for me followed by form.

Why do plumbers love Delta over Moen? Quality of ease of install? Parts? Is Grohe harder to find parts for? I have Delta faucets for 10+ years and they've held up very well.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
why I love Delta

I love Delta because they work well for a very long time and

come apart easily when they need repairs....

the parts are easy to find and most are interchangeable...

Moen is junk.... just try to figure out how to
get the damm handles off a high end Moen
Lavaroty faucet sometime and you will know what I mean...

I have scarred up the chrome on some nice handles just
trying to pry them apart ..........that really peeves me

I have literally pulled a Moen tub faucet
out of the wall one time trying to get the cartridge
out of the damn thing

Moen works great untill the day you have to repair them

I wont touch Ghroe... that is nothing but touble
difficult to get parts, difficult to get apart without
risking scarring up the faucet....

diffucult to make the customer happy about the bill.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucets

For single handle tub/showers I prefer one model of Delta. Two handle faucets, I prefer Price Pfister, (Moen and Delta have too many plastic parts in their versions). Single handle kitchen it's Price Pfister or Delta, (Moen has a couple of unique problem with theirs). I just spent two hours yesterday repairing and adjusting a Grohe thermostatic shower valve, after waiting 3 weeks for the part.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread.
I am going to re-do a powder room soon and have been thinking about which faucet to get. I have personally not had good luck with Delta. I've had several Delta kitchen faucets and they inevitably have started leaking after about a year. Putting in new springs and seals seems to last about a year. Same thing with a Delta bathroom faucet.

On the other hand, my house came with Moen bathroom faucets - total of 4 of them - now 16 years old and no leaks, have never had to touch them for service. I'm sure they are very low-end faucets, too.

What gives? Did Moen do a better job in manufacturing in the past and have now gone downhill?

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
We have a Price Pfister in the kitchen and it's the worse faucet I've ever encountered. Can't wait to have it replaced. Moen is not on my list so that leaves me with Delta and Grohe.

Now I need to set up a voting system. Is Grohe not German and therefore exceptionally good according to the salesman?:D Give me the cold hard facts, a slap in the face so I can make a properly informed decision based on the experts i.e. plumbers. Sales people have no clue.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why have you eliminated Moen from your list? Had you heard bad things about it (other than MP Mark's remarks above)?

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Re: Faucet Preferences

Personally I prefer Moen (or used to, back in the day). Esp Tub and Shower fcts, I felt they were quieter than any other brand. And that came from experience. I have found Moen to be easy to install, easy to service, (if you know how to follow their published directions for doing so. Also very little service w/ Moen.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
In my area moen products have the most problems out of the box, meaning that either they won't work upon install or something is defective.

I work on Delta faucets a great deal.....mostly because they are widely installed. If you have high water pressure you will be replacing parts on a Delta. If you are buying remedial rebuild parts on Delta, you'll constantly be replacing parts on them. It's all about using genuine quality Delta parts that make a good rebuild. Otherwise Danco is your part-time friend.

I do not like working on Moen faucets because of the effort it takes to pull the cartridges. If you have galvanized piping leading to a Moen faucet you'll be taking those pressure-temp cartridges apart daily to keep the balancing spool free moving.

Moen has Delta beat on looks/style/different kinds. I install a great deal of Moen faucets just because they are solely bought on looks, not functionality.

I won't install a american standard faucet, no matter what kind or style. Too many problems lately with that product and taints the customer-service provider relationship even though I didn't supply the faucet. Notorious for problems/operation issues.

Price Pfister is sold around here but many don't install them. I have no idea why but every once in a while I'll put one in.

Kohler, run away screaming like your shirt is on fire. A nightmare to deal with down the road. It doesn't really matter if they are made from 5 pounds of brass, I want nothing to do with them.

Pegasus (home depot store brand) look nice and are well constructed with numerous styles and finishes but everything to repair them involve a 1-800 number.

Danze is similar to Pegasus and Danze is considered high end like Grohe.

I've dealt with 3 grohe faucets in the past 3 months; high end product, good about sending parts under warranty just like Delta and Moen.

All 3 faucets I dealt with had problems with them directly caused by normal wear and tear so I can't say it was a defective product.

I install a great deal of LadyLux faucets, seem to be a common faucet installed in high end homes.

That's all I got. Me, I like Delta. Easy faucet I've seen to work/repair/install.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've had good luck with my Grohe fixtures and at least one of the local supply stores carries parts. It depends on where you live. They did send me a new cartridge that leaked when the single handle was in one position no questions asked and it took all of about 5-minutes to remove and replace.

CeeZee

Reaction score
Any feedback on the higher-end American Standard faucets? I'm installing two of them in my masterbath and vanity area redo. These are single handle types, look fantastic, and sure are heavy!

The Moens that they are replacing (along with new sinks and countertops) are over 20 years old and haven't had any problems whatsoever other than they look awful and have corroded at the spout. The 15 year old Moen I have in the kitchen had to have the cartridge replaced but Moen was extremely helpful over the phone and the installation was fairly straightforward. The new cartridge does seem to be very loose but it doesn't drip or anything.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks poo-poo the American Standard items... I just installed two single handle valves and they seem like they should fair well... but these guys have lots of experience, so let's see. ;)

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I like Delta and I like the Price Pfister sink faucet and I can live with Moen. Have done repairs more than 40 years and I don't remember having a hard time with the Moen. But believe me certain well water can make servicing some faucets a lot harder to do.

If you pay attention to these plumbers and Jim DeBruycker too, your getting the best advice.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Everyone is bored with the Delta looks

I think that most everyone is bored with the DELTA looks

Delta is soooo popular that they are everywhere you go and
peopel want something different....
snazzy, artsy fartsy......

they have become bland looking...
but of course they are popular because
they work so very well...

AS RUGGED stated...

Run away from KOHLER screaming like your shirt is on fire...

the same goes for AMERICAN STANDARD... they are junk...
you will not find the parts to either the Koler and AM STD...
--------------------------------------------------------------------
PRICE FISTER is probably the absolute worst faucet made in
the USA and usually they are bad right out of the box.....

I got a lady right now with a $375 price fister faucet on a
granite kitchen top that I wont touch...its less than 2 years old..

its the absolute dumbest most butchered up mess you would ever
want to see under neath the sink.....I cant even change the spray
hose to the faucet without risking breaking something else on the faucet..

whoever designed this Price Fister faucet should be taken out and shot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

MOEN....I screamed and SQUEALED bloody hell once when I had to
shell out 69 bucks for the cartridge to a MOEN POSI TEMP tub faucet....

any off brand with some unknown name from the hardware store

well......you deserve what you get......
for buying it in the first place.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have no idea if the Grohe & Hansgrohe companies are related or not.; maybe someone does.
I have seen the quality and machining of these Hansgrohe products and it is outstanding/award winning etc.. (exterior)
They are more expensive depending how smart a shopper you are.

From a practical viewpoint-The Plumbers are always correct in guiding you to the
older reliable brands. For fast parts/service-you cant beat the old standbys. We all grew up with them-they are Everywhere. And thats the problem for me personally.
The same old designs...

But hey...thats just me.
That was one factor in choosing my Toto Aquia toilet BTW.

The Hansgrohe/Axor line is particularly interesting looking. Not for everybody, but worth looking at.
It appears the parts are readily available but I'm open for correction on that
from the pros who actually do the repairs...

Im probably getting this model:
Allegroh

Compare this Hastings Plano with the Grohe Eurodisc you mentioned. Same concept imo..

Last edited by a moderator:

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
I have lots of Delta already in my bathroom. I was looking at Brizo, made by Delta and more upscale modern looking. Grohe looks good and so does Kohler, but now I'll be running like my shirt's on fire:eek: :D

Thanks for the feedback on Kohler. I wondered whether Hansgrohe was related to Grohe. Think they might be kin Mr. Plumber?:D

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Mike50 said:
I have no idea if the Grohe & Hansgrohe companies are related or not.; maybe someone does.
I have seen the quality and machining of these Hansgrohe products and it is outstanding/award winning etc.. (exterior)
They are more expensive depending how smart a shopper you are.

From a practical viewpoint-The Plumbers are always correct in guiding you to the
older reliable brands. For fast parts/service-you cant beat the old standbys. We all grew up with them-they are Everywhere. And thats the problem for me personally.
The same old designs...

But hey...thats just me.
That was one factor in choosing my Toto Aquia toilet BTW.

The Hansgrohe/Axor line is particularly interesting looking. Not for everybody, but worth looking at.
It appears the parts are readily available but I'm open for correction on that
from the pros who actually do the repairs...

Last edited by a moderator:

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
We hired a plumber on the spot (he came recommended) and the first thing he said was to stay away from MOEN:D He also warned me about Kohler but didn't have anything bad to say about Grohe, but he loved Delta and Brizo by Delta. Want to please my plumbers more than myself sometimes so I'll be avoiding those that came with warnings.

PaulMartin11

DIY Plumber
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In case, both visual excellence and usefulness are fundamental parts of a room that ought to have a soothing air, similarly ideal for washing up after a hard exercise or applying cosmetics early in the day prior to a bustling day at work. Consider our tips for picking bathroom apparatuses that are a joy to see and utilize. Picking the correct apparatuses is a magnificent place to begin. your bathroom sink and tub, it's anything but difficult to get captured in the fight among style and common sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks