Panasonic Whisper Warm?

Users who are viewing this thread

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Do you recommend these for smaller bathrooms?

One bathroom is 53" x 55", H84"

Is a 50 cfm sufficient? Any particular wiring and switches I need?

Second bathroom is 87" x 85", H 97"

Third bathroom is 66" x 35", H 97"

I read somewhere that these are heavy and bigger so does this mean I have to be sure they can fit the area that is now taken up with some rinky dink exhaust fan? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
By any calculation, 50 CFM is large enough for any of those rooms. Problem is, the 50 CFM fans tend to be the bottom of the line models, and not very quiet.

Panasonic fans tend to have the best noise specs. I prefer 1.0 sones MAX and 0.8 or 0.6 is great! Also, having more air flow will help insure no moisture problems.

You will normally have to do some ceiling repair to replace a fan, but this is not that hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Minimum recommened air flow is 6 air changes per hour, so multipy cubic feet of the room by 6, then divide by 60 to get cubic feet per minute. I prefer 8 or 10 exchanges.

I am not familiar with the particular fan you mention. The panasonic website probably has specs on it.

In general, I do a LOT of internet shopping and have not had a single bad experience. Make sure that any shopping site is secure: https.....

I NEVER use the famous auction site. I do not consider it secure ( way too much fraud) and I consider their ...Pal very insecure. Lots of publicity about this recently. They ACT like a bank, but are NOT a bank, so are not subject to regulations and oversight. Exempt from most of the consumer protection laws that govern regular businesses and credit card transactions.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I was considering that unit before I selected my Broan 655 (not nearly as quiet).
I like the simple design. There is a link I posted in another thread with some uber-decorative units about a week ago. Gotta run right now.
Search my posts and you will find the url.

Mike

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
We have a Broan and it sounds like a rocket taking off. It's only about 3 years old and was that noisy to begin with:rolleyes:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
HoneySuckle said:
We have a Broan and it sounds like a rocket taking off. It's only about 3 years old and was that noisy to begin with:rolleyes:

Right. And you will pay 3 or 4X what I paid. I like rockets. :D

If I'm paying 3-400 for a bath fan then it better look like one of these.
See what you think.
http://www.noblewinds.com/hunter-bath-fans.html

best,

Mike

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Now that is VERY NICE:D

Are the Panasonics WW that expensive? I probably was looking at the wrong things when I figured they were in my budget.

Next question. Do you all have these exhaust fans ducted to the outside or in the attic? Mine doesn't go further than the attic, thats how the builder set us up, the SOB:mad:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1. The Panasonic is 1.0 sones, and as I mentioned, the noise is always a big factor in my opinion. I paid almost the same as that Panasonic for a 110 CFM Broan w/ 1.0 sones. (I don't have the heat function.) If you haven't shopped for it, the internet sites seem to get about $235 for the Panasonic WW

2. Those Hunters are very nice. Probably also very good quality and reliable. They are 2.5 to 3.0 sones, so I would not sacrifice noise for style, but some people will not be so fussy about the noise and will love the styling. The prices seem quite reasonable.

3. Most of the Hunters seem to use incandescent lights. If you are remodeling a bathroom, then around here at least the inspector will not allow that. Overhead bathroom lighting must be fluorescent.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm off to buy fluorescent bulbs right now. I'm switching over finally. Especially for the bathroom.

And yes...my fan vents into the attic as well. I'm waiting for next roofing job to vent thru roof. Luckily this IS the desert so we don't have moisture issues like most..

I didn't see any of those Hunters with a Heat function...?

Mike

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Lots of folks around here vent those things like a clothes dryer either out the eave or a wall. I've even seen them vented into a sewer vent. Any know or have a link to "the right way to do it?"

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The right way to vent is to the outside of the building. Through a wall or through the roof. Venting into a soffit cavity in the attic is not good, because it usually allows moist air to remain inside and cause mold.

Venting into a sanitary vent is COMPLETELY improper, and would cause all kinds of problems.

asuwish

Reaction score
My biggest regret for our newly renovated bathroom was not getting a super quiet fan. I hate the rocket launcher being in there with me when I shower. Although I guess it's a good thing for guests with shy bladders, etc. I'm going to find out if I can get it replaced without too much damage since the floor has been pulled up in the bathroom directly above it. Can it be replaced from above? Oh, and when they were banging away upstairs something dropped into the fan or something got loose (not sure which) and then there was a hell of a racket. Even when that was fixed it never got back to its normal roar. I have learned yet another lesson. I don't care what the new one looks like as long as it's quiet and sucks out moisture & nasty smells :p OUTSIDE that is - not into the attic - ever - and I'm definitely 'not a pro'.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Panasonics are THAT expensive? I do hate noise though. As I said before, we have a Broan in our MB and it's a real mofo to deal with!

Did I say that? Not very ladylike I'm sure:p

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Search on-line, sometimes you can find them for less (but not always) than what you get locally.

Zimmee66

Reaction score
re: panasonic whispr warm

I installed a whisperfit and I would never go back to a broan.

For one thing, people are tempted to turn off loud fans prematurely and so they dont vent the moisture fully.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Zimmee, thank you for that last comment. My old fan was quite noisy, and wife refused to use it when she took a bath. We has some problems with mold. Now with the 1.0, she cooperates!

Molo

Reaction score
I looked at the link Zimmee put up for the panasonic vents. I noticed that the ceiling vents on that page run the air out the side and not straight up. Is that normal? Also can somebody recommend a manufacturer or model name for a good vent/light unit for a bathroom that is 50 sq. ft.?

TIA,
Molo

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Panasonic & Broan are 2 major brands. Generally the quieter the fan--the more you are likely to pay.
Selection is wide open with lots of choices. Depends on what features are important to you vs. how much you want to spend.

In my case--the choices were few because I didn't want to pay a lot-but needed the heat feature. My Broan was 75 dollars...and yea...it's a little noisy for some people. But not for me.
Installation was a PITA but it was worth it. No more chilly winter bathroom...

Mike

Molo

Reaction score
From the reading I've done today it appears that going through the roof with the vent can actually cause a problem with condensation inside the pipe that runs into the vent unit itself. The reading I've done states that it is more desirable to run the vent out the side of the house or the soffit. Can anyone confirm or deny what the best method is?

TIA,
Molo

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks