I need a short toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Leo427

Reaction score
I am updating a half bathroom in my family room. It is approximately 45" wide by 10' deep. The vanity is located at the far end of the room and is the width of the room. The toilet is in the middle of the room and has a 12" rough in from the wall. With a 2" offset from the wall, a 28" toilet (thinking of the Drake elongated like I have in my other bathroom) and hot water baseboard heat on the other side approximately 3" wide, I only have about 12" to walk by the toilet. I see that a round Drake is 26 1/2" which would give me about 13 1/2" to walk by the toilet. FINALLY, the question! :eek: Are there any recommended toilets that would give me more room to walk by to get to the vanity? Thank you for any input.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, none of those would pass code if you were going to get this inspected...you need a minimum of 15" in front of a toilet. Is there any way to maybe turn the toilet 90-degrees? WIth 10', there could be room. You need 15" from the center of the toilet minimum to the nearest wall, and then you could use a nice elongated toilet, too.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
how to get around the small space dilemma

Leo

It's a small space. Too small for Code to be followed. Your space is TOO small!

Let's explore the very few options you have. None of them will bring you 100% into the range that a strict application of code would require.

1. A small wall-hung toilet will give you more room. Inches and inches.

2. Placing the toilet on a 45 degree diagonal line will give you both side space for arms and elbows, and front space for people to get on and off the toilet (or to pee standing) as well as corridor space for people to walk past to the vanity at the end of the room.

Combining these two ideas, look at Missal wall-hung toilet carriers. It's a frame that you hang a 20" - 22" wall-mount bowl onto. The frame is triangular so it puts your toilet on a diagonal.

See https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9550&highlight=wall-hung for the other wall-mount carrier, made by Geberit. The same 20" - 22" small bowls go on this carrier frame.

If you stick with the current layout, put a Kohler Rialto there and you'll get a few more inches.
david

TPA

Reaction score
If you still want an elongated bowl, the Aquia is ~27"... not a huge savings in space, but in small spaces, an inch matters!

Leo427

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I am considering a Drake ST743S round bowl. It would give me about the same amount of room I had with the original toilet that was installed when the house was built. Even if I decided to jack hammer the slab to relocate the drain, there is no other place in the room to locate the toilet which would be any better. Except, of course, to put it at the far end of the room where the vanity is and relocate the vanity. However, I was hoping to not make a major project out of this.

jakhamer.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Leo427

Reaction score
A question for Terry

I am unable to find the link to the installation instructions for the Toto Drake that your son posted some time ago. I recall it included how to sand the inside of the tank where the washers are to provide a good seal. It was very informative. Would you be able to provide the link for me?
Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks