New Moen Cartridge - Very Little hotwater

Users who are viewing this thread

Redman67

Reaction score
Hi... I just replaced a badly leaking Moen Cartridge with a new similar one.
Model 1200.. I couldn't tell what the original was so I got the closest look alike. It fit in ok accept for the clip.. I had to really work at it to get the retaining clip in..(had to bend the clip in all kinds of directions to push it in)

I turned on the water and all seemed ok.. no more leak. But now the water does not get hot... it doesn't even get very warm. To make matters worse I can't find the original cartridge. Anyhow, anyone have any ideas? I was thinking maybe its not the right cartridge. Shall I try another type of cartridge? Maybe the 1225..

moen1225.gif

moen-1200-1225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Most times the cartradge needs to be turned 180 degrees. You should get some hot / warm water when you put it in the position for cold. This would show it needs to be turned 180. Try pulling it out and cleaning the valve better and slicking it up with a little plumbers greese then re install it 180 from where it was.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The 1200 is the brass cartridge and the 1225 is plastic, but usually they can be used interchangeably.

You should not have to monkey with the clip, and that concerns me, because if it snaps, you will have a surprise! Something is probably not put in just right, and get a new clip.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with the others. Look carefully at the exploded diagram in the instructions that came with the cartridge. Make sure the cartridge is positioned correctly and push it in place. The clip should go in fairly easy and you should get hot and cold water.

Redman67

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the info..... the clip thing now kinda worries me.... I surely don't want any problems. maybe i'll take a pic and post it so you can see..... are pics allowed here? This cartridge thing was supposed to be an easy do-it-yourselfer.... at least thats what someone told me.. Maybe something is preventing the cartridge from being pushed in all the way.. because for the clip to go down easy the cartridge has to go in a little bit more, but It doesn't... so I have to kinda bend the clip somewhat.

Redman67

Reaction score
here is a pic

Ok.. I'm gonna try to send a pic.. Can you look at the retaining clip... what did I do wrong... I had to bend it so that it would go all the way down... Its late now.. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow...

Attachments

• moen1200.jpg
    moen1200.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
O.K. no wonder the clip was so hard to get in.

You have the cartradge in and it is 90 degrees off.

The 2 ears of the cartradge must be at 12:00 and 6:00 not 9:00 and 3:00 and the "new" clip that your going to get will slide past them on either side.

I must say I have never seen anyone install a cartradge like that. I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair. No wonder you had such a hard time with it.
Doing it right will be much easier I think.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks