splicing in a new drain

Users who are viewing this thread

jasonb

Reaction score
Lookin for my best opion to splice in a drain into an existing pipe. This is in a commercial building in a ceiling space. I will be putting in a sink in, on the floor above. the pipe i will need to tap into is 3" galvanized. Is it best to cut out a section and spice in or do they make a saddle fitting or sorts i could use. remember i will be working above a ceiling in a space that is about 3' high. Any advice on what my best option is.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'd really like to see some more replies to this one... I haven't run into any 3" galvanized used for drains or sewers. If it were me I'd use some kind of mechanical coupling such as compression coupling or no hub couplings on each side of the tee which would be fitted with nipples (no threads on the splice end. I'm sure that saddle couplings or tees are available and I'm sure they're not cheap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I haven't seen 3" galvanized used for waste either.
I've seen galvanized that large used for roof drains and for fire protection before.

I wouldn't use that line until I determined that it was what it was.
It could even be a water supply line.
Wow! Now that would be a mess cutting into a line under pressure.

Gencon

Renovator
Reaction score
Website
gencon.piczo.com
If its a drain, its likely cast iron. In which case the best way to tie in another drain is to cut the pipe and add a wye.Use a soil pipe or snap cutter to cut the pipe and use MJ couplings for the connections.

You may have to do the same for the vent, or else its copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks