Drive point well question

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
Air might work. I'm confused. Do you mean to say the static water level is 5' or 5' above the screen? With a 33 foot well and five foot of water in it, that puts the top of water at 28'. Too deep for the pitcher pump. And too deep for the centrifugal. It simply won't prime at that depth.

Sammy is right about surging and pumping, that would work great if the static level is 5' from ground level or top of casing.

What kind of wells do your neighbors have?

bob...

R

Rancher

sucker dave said:
Could I use compressed air to blow out the fines? I mean hook up a compressor fitting and pump in air?
That's how the well drillers do it, just a massive air compressor forcing air down the drill shaft, they do add something that creates bubbles to carry the fines out, I would think something benign like dawn dish soap would work.

Rancher

sucker dave

Reaction score
Bob,
5 ' above the well point. I checked on a mud sucker and it can only pull 25 feet, so I don't think that will work.

This well is in a garage I use for holding bait. We have a 100' well in the house as do the neighbors. I'm trying to do this to eliminate having to use my house water to operate my bait busniess.

I'm a bit leary about adding soap to the water because of the unknown affect it could have on the bait if I get things working. I may just go up and rent a portable aircompressor get as many cfm's as possible and try that.

Here's a stupid question. Using air, is there a way to know if I've been successfull? other than pumping as much as I can and hoping for the best?

Dave

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I think you are seeing about all your going to get. Getting more than 10 gpm through an eighty gauze screen would me something short of miraculuous. You said you were getting 2 gpm from your pump. You didn't say if that was with the deep well jet or not. If the water is that far down, that's the only way you will get any at all.

Using air is a good way to help stir things up down there. That is what moves the fines up and lets the courser (if any) material around the well point. The larger the material, the more tha flow. I agree with Sam, a 10 slot would have been much better.

bob...

R

Rancher

sucker dave said:
I'm a bit leary about adding soap to the water because of the unknown affect it could have on the bait if I get things working.
They use Dawn to wash the oil off sea birds from the oil spill, and you should be able to pump it clean... Bob, what do the well drillers really use, looked like soap to me.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
Are you talking about Drilling Mud Rancher? They use it to keep the hole open when drilling with a Rotary Rig. It's like snot and very slippery. Messy too. But it's just for drilling of the well. It isn't used for anything else except a lub to help the pipe go down.

bob...

R

Rancher

Nope don't think so, they had a rotary drill, but drilling shaft was hollow, ran pressurized air down it, water and fines bubbled up and out, they added something from a 1 gal jug every so often, said it created the bubbles so the air would carry more silt/fines, since they were drilling thru a lot of rock.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
Ok, that's Air Rotary, used mostly in rock drilling. Doesn't work so well in sand, gravel and clay. That's where they use the drilling mud.

Just curious: did these guys ever ask you to fetch them a left handed Pipe Wrench?

bob...

sucker dave

Reaction score
2 gpm was with a shallow well jet pump. I'm going to go to a deep well jet pump after I try to develop the well.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If that's the case, you water level has to be less than you think. 25 feet for a shallow jet is the maximum it can lift.

bob...

R

Rancher

Attachments

• MVC-448L.JPG
    MVC-448L.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 1,327
  • MVC-449L.JPG
    MVC-449L.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,281

Speedbump

Reaction score
Well; I'll bee. And I always thought that was just an old wifes tale. Rancher has proof that there really is a left and right handed pipe wrench.

bob...

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dave,
i apologize i thought you said it was 5' to water,my fault. You can try air. What i have used in the past is a rod pump but that requires a winch set up. Its basicaly a packer w/ a foot valve set up on 3/4" steel pipe or 1" and it plunges the well screen.

SAM

sucker dave

Reaction score
sammyhydro11 said:
Dave,
i apologize i thought you said it was 5' to water,my fault. You can try air. What i have used in the past is a rod pump but that requires a winch set up. Its basicaly a packer w/ a foot valve set up on 3/4" steel pipe or 1" and it plunges the well screen.

SAM
Sam,
Can you explain this in greater detail??

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
The fitting is simular to your jet assembly and acts like a hand pump right at the top of the screen. Its a super pain without a drilling rig. You have to constantly lift and drop the pipe to surge it. I have never developed a 2" well w/air,always used the rod pump set up w/good results. To develop properly w/air you would need a "J Tube". It's nothing more than a fitting in shape of a J that you fix to the end of some drop pipe. You force air down the drop pipe. the air shooting back up towards the well brings the water up along with it. It's a good developing technique because you can surge that well real good by closing and opening the valve running from your compressor. When you close the valve it does the same thing as dropping the prime with the hand pump but you can do it constantly. But hey if you have never done it before it can be a hassle plus you need a good size compressor.

Dave i read your previous post yesterday and you said your static water level wa at 5'. Maybe you typed wrong. Is it at 5'?

SAM

sucker dave

Reaction score
SAM,
sorry, still learning.
I'm going to try connecting a large air compressor to the well casing and try to force the fines out of the way with high pressure air.

Bob,
no the well consists of 6- 5 ' sections of 2" well pipe and a 3' screen. 25 feet for a shallow well pump must be +/- a couple of feet becasue it pumps at that depth.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dave blowing those fines out of the way will not increase the well production unless you remove them. That "J Tube" assembly is a must when developing with air. It displaces the fines at the same time removing them. Just blowing air down the well is only one step of the developing procedure.

SAM

sucker dave

Reaction score
SAM,
Here's what I did and it seemed to help a great deal.
I have a cap on my well that is used to connect the jet pump. It has 2 holes in it. 1 for the stand pipe and 1 to force water down to the jet. I was using the large side for the shallow well jet pump leaving the 1" hole open. I connected my air compressor to the 1" side. I'd charge my tank up to 150 psi than plug in the line forcing the air down in the well. With a 1 1/4 dia stand pipe, there wasn't a lot of room in the 2" pipe, so 150 psi should have forced the standing water out of the screen. I did that 4-5 times than when all the air was out of the case, I ran the pump. That seemed to pump out a lot of dirty water. I did this cycle 5-6 times each time getting more water flowing and less dirty water. My water output seems to improved dramaticly. I guess now the question is, when is it good enough. The last couple of times, i didn't notice any real improvement, so I think I might hook up the jet pump and hope for the best. What do you think??
Dave

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks