Tub to Shower Conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

shamrock_94

Reaction score
From reading on this and other boards, I see that in order to to convert a tub/shower to a shower I must replace the 1.5" waste line with a 2" waste line. I understand this is code, but can anyone explain the rationale? I don't see the difference between using a tub/shower and a shower. If I take a shower in a tub/shower or a shower stall, the water use would be the same. What gives?
thanks in advance.

Lancaster

Reaction score
A shower needs to drain faster than a tub.Tub has a lot more capacity than a shower does,will take much longer to flood and overflow.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
A shower has less storage capacity before it runs over. A 1.5" drain in a shower will probably work fine if the drain is good. It is even less of a problem if you have the 2.5 GPM limit of modern showers.

The codes are made to deal with worst cases. It could be a problem if you installed one of those multihead body wash things that use 10 to 12 gallons per minute of water from 4 or 5 heads.

If you can get it past the inspector, you can probably get by with the 1.5" drain. If you are doing the plumbing yourself, you can deal with it as you wish.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks