Older Koher with triple flush

Users who are viewing this thread

brewpaul

Reaction score
I have an older model Kohler (Wellworth I believe) with a noticibly taller tank. I needed to replace the flush assembly. I purchased an adjustable height flush pipe and extended it to 11.5" which is still about .25" short of the water level. Now when I flush, the bowl empties three times and the entire tank empties. I have created a newly modified 4gpf Kohler. :eek: Unfortunately, it still does a weak job of cleaning toilet paper off the front of the bowl. I am guessing that I cannot use a standard flush assembly for this toilet.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

MSanders

Reaction score
You need to purchase a low-flow flapper. I'm assuming this is just a standard flapper you currently have in the tank.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
The ballcock has to be higher than the tanks overflow tube. At one time I used a 12 & 1/2" Mansfield brass b/c in the older Wellworths. They even came 14" tall.

When you say " flush pipe or flush assembly" are you talking FILL VALVE OR or FLUSH VALVE, the thing with the flapper.

From what I hear you saying, the three flushes tells me that not enough water is getting to the bowl fast enough to flush well.

The Wellworth is a reverse flush bowl and it has a water jet opening near the bend in the trap. You might have to get your hand part way in and up into the trap of the bowl and feel for it. Make sure that is clear. Should be able to feel a lot of water there when you trip the handle. Also make sure all of the rim jets are clear. Use a wire coat hanger to clean them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
16BP-Unpackaged.jpg

http://www.korky.com/Flapper16BP.html

The tall tank Wellworth, 1992 to 1995 I think, was one of their worst.

Since that toilet can plug fairly easily, draining a whole thank into the smallish 1.6 bowl can make a nasty overflow onto you bathroom floors.

I would suggest replacing the flapper with a 1.6 gallon flapper.

brewpaul

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

I will stop by the hardware store and pick up a 1.6gpf flapper tonight.

Plumber1: I am referring to the flush valve. I used the tallest overflow tube I could find and slid the ballcock down. I agree that it appears that the not enough water is getting in the bowl fast enough. I will check the rim jets and the water jet to be sure it is functioning.

Terry: You are scaring me. I was thinking the same think as the tank kept pouring water into the bowl. There is no way the bowl could hold the amount of water that is being forced into it should it be clogged. With a 6 year old that could spell disaster.:(

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Newer technology/engineering lower gpf works as well as the old if not better than old water guzzlers.
People simply dont want to believe it--but it's true.
No worries about overflows--from my personal experience.

Most visits to the bathroom require less than one gallon to get the job done.
Dual Flush--is the way to go for many folks...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks