Tub won't drain

Users who are viewing this thread

meridian

Reaction score
I have a full tub that wont drain at all. I took out the link mechanism - which seems to have stopped working a while ago but it did always drain slowly - that has a coil spring on the end and also took out the pop up stopper at the drain bottom. It wont drain with the pop up stopper out. Is there a lift bucket in this tub drain??..I thought the spring on the end of the link pushed against the pop up link to open/close the drain??

Now I've got a full tub and don't know what to do. I tried putting the link and spring back in and moving it a million ways but it is all buggered up! I can tell just by the way the lever turns that it isn't doing what it is supposed to do.

any ideas??

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The tub needs to be snaked.

I would call a plumber at this point so you can get a shower soon.

After watching him do it you can then decide weather to do it your self next time or that You will just call him back.

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like an American Standard tub waste and overflow and you have all of the internal parts out.

And the drain needs to be cleaned with a snake. Be sure you don't pour drain chemicals down there.......

meridian

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I think it is AS brand but not positive. I tried pushing a snake down and got it a few feet in but it does seem to hit something other hair, etc. I can almost feel soemthink clunk around I think. This is making me think there is another part to the drain system that is stuck because it will not drain even one drop, it is totally sealed. If I had a block from hair and junk it would slowly leak out like it used to do.

I even took a plunger and with my hand over to seal the open backflow/lever link area I plunged it a few times and no water would move at all. There has got to be another part in this system???...this is annyong me!!

power_spin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The two parts you took out are the only ones in the drain. The hair and stuff is packed too tight for the water to drain out. The stoppage is past the point where anything other than snaking will work, and plunging just packs the stuff tighter.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are going to snake it, remove the fitting at the overflow above the drain and snake through that hole. You will have fewer corners to go around. You usually can't snake through the drain in the bottom of the tub.

plumbbob

Reaction score
may not be hair...

I fully support the 'snake the drain solution' We had a similar problem in our tub and the snaking did the trick.

Only it wasn't hair that blocked the drain. Well, it might have been the rat's hair...still attached to his body. Somehow the rat had made it up a few feet from the sewer line in the slab and got stuck where the 2nd floor DWV line met the main. We pulled it up and the water went down in a flash.

It was quite nasty. And the wife made me throw away the snake, despite the cost to replace the whole thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks