(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well for Sprinkler System

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by Bob NH
    The valve system is probably 12 Volts AC
    Bob, all of the ones I've used have been 24 volt.

Rancher

Quote Originally Posted by Rancher
    Bob, all of the ones I've used have been 24 volt.

Rancher
    You're right. I checked mine and they are 24 V, which makes it easier to find relays.

Thanks Bob for the info, the current timer I have is a cheapy rainbird, 4 zone timer, however, I will need to replace this with at least a six zone timer (with a motor circuit). Can you recommend a timer with motor circuit?
    Last edited by Joe T; 12-08-2006 at 06:54 PM.

Previous member

I have an Irritrol SD-6 for $93.50. It has the motor circuit.

bob...

O.K., If I install a sprinkler system using a well pump in a water storage tank I will need to do the following:
    1) Balance the pumps flow output to the individual zones (ie: 10gpm pump output to 8-10gpm out flow in the zones sprinklers)
    2) Wire the pump to the controllers pump start switch.
    3) Install a pressure relief valve in the system in case the zone valve does not open.
    4) Place the Well pump into a sleeve in order to create water flow over the motor for cooling.
    5) Properly design the system with correct piping sizes and valves, etc., etc.

My question is, where do I find a pressure relief valve and at what pressure should I have it open at if my system pressure will be 55psi? I found irrigation pressure relief valves at www.fresnovalves.com but they seem larger than what I will need for my yard with my 3/4 HP (220V) pump (approx. 10gpm pump but not really sure yet).

Also, where do I find a pump sleeve? Do they make these for this specific use or do you just Mickey Mouse a sleeve out of 6" or 8" pvc? Thanks for any help. Joe

Previous member

I have PRV's for $6.97 each. They are 1/2". You can get the 3/4" for a little more. The pump sleeve is a short piece of 4" PVC pipe.

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what your doing. Let us know how it goes.

bob...