Septic Pump Alarm (low decibel)

Users who are viewing this thread

RiverdaleWG

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a septic system with a alarm box mounted in my basement.

Recently, the alarm started sounding, butwith a much lower decibel level. When I switch the alarm off, the alarm goes off. When I switch the alarm to test, I get the expected, "very" loud alarm.

The septic company inspected the tank, and it is not full, and when they lifted the floats the pump did come on. They advised I have an electrician check it out.

The electrician believes that one of the floats " is shorted " and causes a voltage drain back to the alarm.

If this possible ? I feel like a go between.

Should I have the floats replaced, or .......

Thanks

SumppumpPimp

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does your alarm have a back up 9 volt battery inside the alarm box casing for when the power is out? If it does, the battery may need to be changed!:confused:

RiverdaleWG

Reaction score
I checked last night, and there is no back up battery.
There is 110V on one leg of the switch, and 40 volts on the other leg. It would seem to me, there should not be any voltage on the second, until the float is activated. Then is should go to 110V, and activate the alarm.

The 40V is probably why the decibel level is not as high.

But, could this be a defective float or something else ?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could have a defective neutral connection.

Do you have a 120 Volt pump or a 240 Volt pump.

If it is a plug-in pump, plug it into another circuit using an extension cord and check the voltage again. If the 40 Volts persists, then you probably have a bad float or float connection. If the problem goes away, you probably have a bad circuit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks