Does this exist? A Manual Override Pressure Switch for a well?

Users who are viewing this thread

zisk2002

Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm on solar power and I'm trying to make my well system less disruptive to my system.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a pressure switch that I could manually trigger to turn the well pump on and top off the pressure tank with water. I want to do this after the sun has topped off my batteries and I can then utilize the "free" power that I'm not using to fire up the well, fill the tank, and go into the evening with a full pressure tank, knowing that it won't cycle when the sun is down.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks In Advance!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the batteries are topped and the pump is not on your concerned that the pressure tank is at less than full capacity and want to override the pressure switch and fill it using grid electricity so you will have a full pressure tank and full batteries as you head into the night.

Is this right?

If it is I don't know of any pressure switch with an override, but there may be one.

If it were me I would just install another battery to extended run time of the pump and not worry about it.

You could "override" it by turning on the water and let the pump cycle and fill the pressure tank then not use it and allow the batteries to charge after that.

The reason for the switch is because the well system is not supposed to cycle until the tank gets to a specific pressure so the pump is not starting under a load. If you were to override the switch while the tank was at say 3/4 capacity you would be shortening the life of your pump everytime you ran it.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switch

There is such a switch. It is called your pump's disconnect. turn off the power to the pump until you want the pump to run. Then turn it on, let the pressure switch fill the tank and shut off, then turn the power off again. Or use a timer to allow it to run at only certain times during the day or night. The pump does not really care whether it is filling the tank to 3/4 capacity or not. All it cares about is not starting and stopping every 30 seconds, which will wear the electrical components out.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is a pressure switch device for someone who has the inclination and skills to run a solar system.

1. Remove the cover from the pressure switch.
2. Take a flat blade screwdriver (or your finger) and press on the pressure plate of the switch until you hear it click. That is putting it in the ON mode. It will run until it fills the tank to the pressure setting and goes off.

If you are not comfortable with doing this with the power on, then turn the breaker off before step 1 and turn it on after step 2.

If you want to fill it beyond full, but within safe limits, you can hold the plate down until the gauge reaches the desired pressure.

zisk2002

Reaction score
Question for HJ

Hi HJ,

Are there timers big enough to handle the load? It's a 30amp circuit if I remember right. Are there any you might reccommend?

Thanks again!

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Could you run some water till you hear it click in then turn off the water.

I’m living off grid with a hydro plant. I don’t do much PV so I have never dealt with that. As far as free energy I bet I’m dumping all the energy you need to run your house. I’ll send it to if you want.

EDIT
If you want to put it on a timer with some relays let me know and I’ll draw you a quick diagram the first of the year.

Phil H2

Reaction score
zisk2002 said:
Hi HJ,

Are there timers big enough to handle the load? It's a 30amp circuit if I remember right. Are there any you might reccommend?

Thanks again!
Most of the timeclocks I have seen are made by Intermatic http://www.intermatic.com/ . They probably make a 30amp or 40 amp timeclock. With even higher amps, a timeclock can be used to operate a contactor or motor starter (big relay/switch).

TrainWreck

Reaction score
Here's a idea and keeping it along your solar ideals.
I would think there is a way you could use a normally open or closed photo eye in series with your pump control that would open when the sun went down and close when the sun came up or vice versa.
basically taking all the thought out of the pump timing operation

Or at least photo eye control over a relay to control the pump

That would be simple enough

Jef

Last edited:

TrainWreck

Reaction score
OK I thought about this and to keep it simple a photo eye is the way to go.

K4522 intermatic photo cell controlling your pump it should carry 15 amps breaking one leg from your pumptrol control but I would need to test the continuous load of the motor before committing to this .

I would prefer that you used any cheap photo cell to control a relay. That way if you had a failure it would fail to the on position and you would have water. The photo cell would deenergize the relay to close it and keep the pump running while the sun was up and open or energize the relay with the pump deenergized when the sun went down you could also tie in a timer to keep the relay energized and run the pump for one last time when the sun went down after the photo cell shut off the system if you are interested I can run a wiring diagram for you it sounds more complicated than it is and it would be rather simple without the timer .the only issue without the timer is you would not be able to pump up the tank at dark for the last time . My mind is going 100 mph this should have a simple answer that does not include a lot of electronic BS

Ill think on it and try to eliminate the timer
Jef

edit 4 lack of spell chk

Last edited:

TrainWreck

Reaction score
valveman said:
Photo eye sounds like a good idea. They do make a pressure switch that has a lever on the side for manual on and off. We use them all the time for trade show demonstrators. It is a Square D and looks just like a low pressure cut off switch but has only manual on/off lever. It is either the M1 or M4 feature, I can't remember.

Maintained Manual Cut-Out Lever (AUTO-OFF) FSG, FYG M1

Momentary Manual Cut-In Lever (AUTO-START) FRG2-59 Only M3

Low Pressure Cut-Off (AUTO-START-OFF) Operates at Approximately 10 psig Below Cut-in and will turn off the pump FSG, FYG M4

Maintained Manual Cut-in Lever (AUTO-ON) FRG2-59 Only M5

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think we need to look at it this way.

Current presser switch is (let’s go with 45/55).
If your charge controller has a dump load setting that will let you use a relay to send power to a second presser switch that is set at 53/55. This will make sure that you don’t over presser your system. I would also put a 2 minute timer on the relay so once it opens it will stay open for a set amount of time. You will probably only cycle for less than 45 seconds.

-I do think that some of the people do not under stand what you are trying to do.
-I only guessing on what presser you’re running your system at. I would think it would be a bit higher.
-I would think your on an off grid system. other wise you would be dumping your unneeded watts into the grid.

Like I did say in my last post I live off grid and I do know the theory of what you’re tiring to do. There might be a better site to ask this question. PM me if you want that website to the forum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks