proper subfloor for a bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

steve35

Reaction score
I've recently removed the tile and sbufloor in a 1967 bathroom. I am planning to replace the floor with laminate, but don't know the proper subfloor to use.

should I use a bckerboard as a sublfoor then some type of water sealer?

The tile floor had the concrete that appeared to be about one inch thick. Do I need to raise the floor all the way up that inch, or can I just use 1/2 inch backerboard and be happy. I realize I'll have to deal with the step up at the door, but what about the toilet flange, will I be too low in that area?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most laminates don't like a lot of water...is this a full bath, or half? DOes the manufacturer allow it in a full bath?

As noted, this kindof floor needs a quite flat surface. You could use self-leveling-cement. The stuff is fairly expensive, but for a small area would allow you to get the area perfectly flat.

Backer board (cbu) does not buy you anything unless using tile. The better thing to do is put down some plywood - it will reinforce the floor, and you can get it close to the exact height you want.

Gencon

Renovator
Reaction score
Website
gencon.piczo.com
Laminat flooring is made with an MDF backing which will absorb water and swell, making it rather unsightly.Gluing/sealing the seams will help for some time but, eventually the edges will stick up a bit.Not advisable in bathrooms unless the manufacturer recommends it.
The 1" of concrete will probably reveal a wire mesh in it, known as a "Jersey mud job" and was done to provide a nice solid surface for the tile. this can be removed to expose the subfloor. 1/4" spruce underlayment will be fine for most flooring materials except tile. Glue it down with construction adhesive and screw it to the joists every 6" with 2" screws and in the field with 1 1/4" screws. You will need floor leveler on the seams if installing a linoleum or vinyl tile. Laminate flooring uses a foam underpad giving it its "floating" designation.This foam will hide any imperfections up to about 1/8".
Ceramic or porcelain tile will be your best bet and would require a 1/2" CBU or an uncoupling membrane like Schluters Ditra product-good website.

Whatever you choose, the toilet flange can be raised with either a flange extension kit or by doubling up the sleeved wax seals.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks