pump on constantly at low pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

dphette

Reaction score
I have a 1/3 hp 3-wire deep well system.
The pump seems to be running 100% of the time(electric bill tipped me off). When I turn on only the pump circuit, the electric meter spins at a continous 1 rpm. whether we use water or not.
I never hear the pressure switch opening and closing either.
At the same time the pressure guage shows readings between 10 and 20 psi, never above. So the pump is apparently never developing sufficient pressure to kick out the switch. Pre-charge in tank is 27 psi, switch is 30 - 50.
So, do I probably need a new pump, or could there be a wiring/controller / switch problem causing the pump to get only 1/2 the power it needs ?
It does seem like our waetr pressure is low.
Money is tight (my wife is in school) so I want to be sure there's no possible "easy" fix before I call a pump spe******t.

Thanks.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I assume it is a submersible at 1/3 HP 3 wire. Do you have any idea how far it is to water?

Do you know the model of the pump?

If the motor is ok, you might just have to replace the pump head.

Depends on how much of a do-it-yourself person you are. What tools and confidence in that sort of things? What friends willing to help, perhaps with knowledge as well as tools and labor.

With that small a pump it should not be difficult to pull if it has black poly pipe. A little knowledge and a few tools and some good gloves to pull with.

You can check motor windings from above with an inexpensive meter.

You could have a leak in the pipe. If you shut off the pump, do you lose pressure quickly without running water?

The first step is thinking and measuring to produce a diagnosis. Unless you have a cooperative and smart well person, your answer is going to be "Replace the pump and pipe, and probably the wire. That will be $1200 please."

dphette

Reaction score
Bob,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I had considered the leak theory, but missed your simple way of checking, thanks for that. There was no pressure drop with pump off and no water being drawn, so that's rules out the leak.

I notice you're in the Granite State. So am I. Any recommendations of a "cooperative and smart well person" here in the Northwood area ?

I have a lot of learn-as-you-go experience repairing things, but never any deep well work, so I think I probably need an expert here. I could be (no pun intended) in over my head here.

Thanks again.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
IMO any pump guy would tell you that you have a serious leak and ask you if you have a check valve between the pump and the pressure switch. If you do, it is hiding the loss of pressure caused by the leak when you shut off the pump and watch the gauge. If there is no check valve between the pump and switch, you have a broken/worn pump or electrical problem.

For troubleshooting electrical problems goto
http://www.franklin-electric.com/Manual/AIM_45.htm.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
You should have a gauge you can trust in this troubleshooting. Then run water and see what happens.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks