Bathub Reinstall

Users who are viewing this thread

Dishworx

Reaction score
I have recently stipped out the tub,sink,and toilet from the upstairs bathroom.
We purchased a whilrpool tub 60x30 (same size as old one) but did not look into the install info until the new tube arrived.It says that i have to build a inside frame ;and mortor the floor. The old floor is level and i re-installed the 3/8" plywood back down.
Any help with how to do this mortor thing would be greatly appreciated.
Thankz

Gencon

Renovator
Reaction score
Website
gencon.piczo.com
They just want the bottom of the tub to rest on a mortar bed to keep it solid. Allow for 1/4" of height when installing your framing for the edges and mix up a bag of sand mix concrete in a "wet" condition.Spread it out to about an inch thick and then set your tub on top of it. Place weight in the tub or fill it with water to evenly distribute the mortar.Leave the weight in till the mortar has set.
This will keep acrylic tubs from flexing and will also deaden the hollow sound of a shower hitting the tub.

maddfrog

Reaction score
I've heard people suggest putting the mortar in a large trash bag and then setting the tub into that to keep the mortar from sticking to the tub, presumably to make it easier to remove.

Anyone ever tried that method?

Rdtompki

Reaction score
I'm doing a whirlpool "drop-in" in a week or so. I don't know about the garbage bags, but I'm going to put a thin plastic drop cloth over the mortar to prevent the tub from sticking. These whirlpools with variable speed motors and heaters have a fair amount of electronics and I definitely want to be able to get this thing out of the tub deck if absolutely necessary.

Rick

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might need as many as three bags. Use what is called sand topping mix...or you can mix your own from 1 part portland cement and 4-5 parts sand. It will not flow like cement made for a sidewalk, but be more like wet beach sand. It should clump if you squeeze a handful, but not be runny or drip water everywhere from that clump. Make sure that the thing is level in both directions. The mortar mix will hold together, but able to be scratched. It is the same thing they put on the floor when making a shower.

Gencon

Renovator
Reaction score
Website
gencon.piczo.com
Yup, the plastic is a good idea. Shower bases are generally created with a lot less water in them and the mix and is called a dry pack. Once that is set, you thinset and tile over it.The less water , the less chance the concrete has of cracking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks