electric baseboard heat

Users who are viewing this thread

hal731711

Reaction score
Hello-I need to know how efficient electric basebaord heat is. I am a realtor, an I have a buyer interested in a house with new windows, insulation in walls and attic, and cadet baseboard heaters in each room. she does not want to pay outrageous electric bills. the baseboards seem big enough for each room. thanks so much for your help!!

Last edited:

Gencon

Renovator
Reaction score
Website
gencon.piczo.com
Depending of the cost of electricity where you are wether they make sense or not.If the house is very well insulated it wont be too hard on power, but if the windows are old and its poorly insulated, it can be very pricey. Ask the current owners for a copy of their electric bill.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd need to do a heat loss analysis on the house. 1 BTU/hr = about 0.293 watts. So, if you needed 50K BTU/hr, that would be 14.65Kwh. Not sure how many BTU/term you'd get but you need to factor in the efficiency of the heating system - new high-efficiency ones are in the mid-90% range. Electric is basically 100% efficient. If they don't have natural gas available, it is a moot point unless you want to install propane or oil.

It really depends on where you live. Where I live, electric heat would bankrupt the average person, but where my parents live, it's not bad - it's cheaper than heating with gas (although they use a heat pump, which is more efficient than resistance heating except when it is really cold and they need that, too).

So, it isn't an easy answer, but the tradeoff can be calculated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heat

Electric baseboard heating, unless it is an oil filled system, is about the most expensive heating there is, unless you are in the TVA or another area that is heavily subsidized. The only way to control the cost is to turn off the unit when a room is unoccupied.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks