Gluing CPVC pipe with PVC cement

Users who are viewing this thread

angela1kevin1

Reaction score
Is this a major no-no.
I am in the process of remodeling my basement bathroom and I was installing cpvc lines for my sink, washer, and utility sink. I did not know that there was even cpvc cement. So, i was using regular pvc cement. I was told that the cpvc cement will hold up better for the hot lines. Do i need to redo the lines and glue with cpvc or will the pvc cement do just fine?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you must understand is that CPVC, PVC, and ABS are not actually "glued" together. They are joined by solvent welding, much like metal welding except the process is done chemically rather than by heat. The solvent, aka "glue", temporarily liquifies the top layers of the pipe and fitting. The pieces are slipped together and the liquified materials from each piece blend together. Problem is, since each of these three types of pipes are different chemically, they each require a solvent specifically for that type of material. In short, you must redo the job using CPVC solvent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks