Bathtub requires leveling ?

Users who are viewing this thread

bbdd

Reaction score
Hello ... the rear of the 30" wide bathtub in my new home is 1/2" off level, sloping out towards the bathroom floor (the front is 3/8" off level). Should I have the builder fix it (remove the cultured marble, drywall, toilet to get access to the tub, etc.) which will be a lot of mess and time or just install a tub enclosure ? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd demand a tub installed per the manufacturer's instructions...that requires it to be level. Even if you put an enclosure up, you'd likely get water pooled in places you don't want it, and if you use a curtain, it will run along the edges out onto the floor, creating big problems down the road.

Unless it is cast iron, it should have been installed in something like a mortar bed, which would have made leveling fairly easy and make the tub last longer and feel more substantial. Sounds like they cut some corners.

The edges of the tub should also be supported by ledger boards, too (for most manufacturers anyways). If you press (hard) on an edge, does it flex? They may have left that out, too.

The Marble Guy

Cultured Marble installer /remodeler
Reaction score
Your tub should be level. For it to function properly it needs to be level. I am in mostly new construction. Your builder should resolve this issue for you. Don`t let him cheap out on you and scab some crap together.

Is the tub cast or cultured marble? If it is marble the fix should be easily remedied. If not it will require the tub being removed and the supports installed in a manner so the tub is level.
Best of luck

tmg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks