Direct Drain Bath Tub Question

Users who are viewing this thread

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Please help me get to the bottom of this. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks!

I have this unit:

American Standard 1599.205 which is the Overflow Drain for their whirlpools. This drain is set up for horizontal draining only. The toe-pop-up drain screws into the fitting @ the bottom of the tub and then sends it out sideways.

What I am looking for the way to make it into a direct drain. Where, if you were sitting in the tub (yeah, silly I know) and you look at the drain in the bottom of the tub, that drain would go straight down into the trap. The overflow would be what would come in from the side.

Here is a picture of a direct drain:

over-the-rim-drain-4.jpg

Here is a picture of the American Standard drain that I have. If I can just get that bottom part (that the toe-drain screws into) in a Tee or a Wye or something where the top of the Tee or Wye is threaded and has the flange to support the gasket to create a seal I'd be good:

Basically I just need to change that "Drain Ell Assembly" into a "Drain Tee (?)" or something of the sort. (I think.)?

Thanks for taking the time to read and let the picking of the brains begin! :)

Thanks again,

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

rudytheplbr

36 Journeyman Plbr
Reaction score
Re: direct drain

It looks OK to me, I don't see any reason to change the Waste and Overflow as set. The trap is most likely under the drain and as such doesn't require any adjustment.
You didn't state a reason for the change out, but if the old one quit working, and the new one is the only one available, You're looking at changing the trap location also, so post some pics if you can, and let us see the total scope of the problem.
Good Luck,
Rudy:)

EAT "WILD ALASKA SALMON" IT'S GOOD FOR YOU AND YOURS

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The first pic in my original post if the way I need the second pic to look. In other words, if you look closely at the first pic, you'll see that the trap connection point is directly under the drain. If you look at the second pic you'll see the trap connection is directly under the over-flow.

I need to be able to convert the second picture to connect to the trap when the trap is under the drain, not the over-flow.

Thanks for all the quick replies,

Pete

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you can't find one in your area PM me and I can get you one and send it to you.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cass said:
If you can't find one in your area PM me and I can get you one and send it to you.

OMG! Thank you so much for the offer Cass. Question. Before I trouble you, do you know what it is called so I know what to look for. I'll even try and go to the plumbing supply, but to be honest, I don't want to look like a total moron. :)

Thanks again!!

:) Pete

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cass said:
hj posted it, a toe outlet drain.

Ah, darn, I know that was too easy. I have that part. That's not the problem. The problem is with the part that the toe outlet screws into. In my second pic it screws into what they call a "Drain Ell" -- I need that to be a "Tee"... so that it looks like the first pic.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They are fairly expensive due to the fact that they don't make many because there is so little call for them..

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I can get you the tub waste that looks just like the first pic. there is no T in it. Thats all I can get. Thats all that they make in that style.

Last edited:

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cass said:
I can get you the tub waste that looks just like the first pic. there is no T in it.

Ah! Excellent! Yes! Just like the first picture -- now... can I screw my male toe-drain into the drain assembly on that?

(Thanks again!)

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
picture3.jpg

Ahhhh... looks like they make her in plastic too! We're getting closer! :) :) :)

Edit: Sorry I goofed and downloaded the wrong picture... but the correct one can be found here:

http://www.oateyscs.com/bath_waste/bw_pdf/wholesale_plumbing_catalog.pdf

on page 50.

Here's the correct description:

Full Kit Plastic Tubular, Uni-Lift for Direct Drain*
P8227D Uni-Lift bath waste with white polypropylene direct drain and 10 041193026712
plastic tubing rough-in, 2-hole top ell and 1-hole faceplate, retaining
clip to secure bath waste to tub, blue top ell washer, 1-1/2" waste shoe,
1-1/2" brass Uni-Lift drain unit with washer seal, PVC slip joint tee,
(2) wing nuts, (2) poly washers, bottom ell washer, chrome trim, boxed
with individual UPC on package
A8227D Same as Above, Black Polypropylene w/ ABS Tee

Last edited:

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
See above... ;) (remember, that pic is wrong... but I added a link.) -- basically the same as what is in my very first pic, but only in PVC. ;)

Last edited:

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Nice Hi-Res Pic...

P8227D_hr.jpg

Or... you could make your own with this:

P3225D_hr.jpg

and a tee... I think I like the idea of the first one... now I just have to track one down.

:)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You do not convert your drain to a toe waste, you buy a toe waste and install it, although you can mix and match the parts for the two if necessary.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
For anyone else that should stumble on this rare need. I've been advised that the type of drain in my last picture is called a "Though the shoe" (aka direct drain) drain assembly. The part that is key is the part that the drain screws into and seals the tub. The rest is run-of-the-mill tub drain assembly stuff with overflow.

:) Problem solved.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks