Stink pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Am re-modeling my bathroom. It is a 200 year old home, and the existing bathroom is maybe 20+ years old.

When I pulled off the wall, I see the old stink pipe hab been cut off at the ceiling level.

I have no smell in the room so it must be venting somewhere but at this stage I can't tell where.

Is it possible to have no vent and no smell or is the toilet venting elsewhere?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, I agree but I am still wondering why there is no smell. In capping off the old vent did the previous owner then think the gas emmision would be forced down the stack and thus out another vent. I have four vents on the top of the house, kithchen, seconf and third bathroom and and laundry room. Its the only thing I can think of.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
cneumann@the-cambridge-gr said:
Am re-modeling my bathroom. It is a 200 year old home, and the existing bathroom is maybe 20+ years old.

When I pulled off the wall, I see the old stink pipe hab been cut off at the ceiling level.

I have no smell in the room so it must be venting somewhere but at this stage I can't tell where.

Is it possible to have no vent and no smell or is the toilet venting elsewhere?

Thanks

Since the bathroom has been added on and there is no smell, this may be an abandoned vent pipe and not connected to the drainage system at all. Or the vent may be plugged off somewhere inside, not allowing sewer gas to escape. Or you could have a whole house trap that blocks the smell. It is possible to have no vent and no smell and the toilet may or may not be vented. If there is a crawl space under your home, you should be able to find the other end of this pipe and see whether or not it is still part of the drainage system.
Deb
The Pipewench

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks