cauking at shower drain stall

Users who are viewing this thread

arrow

Reaction score
With kind advices from this forum, I replaced my shower drain stall and pipe. Finally, I applied silicon caulking bottom of Oatey stall and the boundary of it and my shower floor. I believe my floor is fiberglass (it's not tile). After two days, I did leak test and fount leaking from between the floor and the stall. I checked the silicon that I applied. I could rip it off. It was cured but did not adhere on the floor. I cleaned the surface before I applied. Even I tested on other spot to check if it stick on it. But it does not stick on it even it is cured. Did I misunderstood on using the silicon on this project?
Thanks for your help.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The entire are must be completely dry. Sometimes it helps to use a hair dryer and a 24hour fan treatment to ensure this. Also, it is not unheard of to get a bad batch of caulk which does not cure.

Lastly, we would like to see a picture or diagram of this install, because there are no situations where caulk should be the primary waterproof boundary. Do you have a flange on the floor, and overlap the walls over the flange?

arrow

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo. Here is the picture. I applied the caulk on the bottom of the Oatey stall. After I tighten the nut from the bottom I applied the caulk around the stall on the fiber glass floor.

Attachments

• Resize of IMG_2904.JPG
    Resize of IMG_2904.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,435

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need caulk or plumber's putty under the flange on the top side of the shower stall. Nothing on the bottom. Actually, the drain body is installed before the base in dropped over the pipe. Then that rubber gasket slides over the pipe and the special wrench tightens up the caulk ring.

arrow

Reaction score
Thanks. The putty worked. Even the instruction in Oatey stall says applying silicon caulking, don't do it.

oatey_no_calk_drains.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks