Help -tub rusting

Users who are viewing this thread

ConnieVa

Reaction score
I just happened to be at my 87 year old Mother's house the other day and noticed she had a bathmat up againist the front of the tub covering the drain hole. I pulled it back and saw RUST!!!!! Not just a small amount but looks to me like it is about to go all the way through. It looks to be about 4 inches x 6 inches. At the time she had company so I didn't mention anything to her.

What can be done? The house is old and once she has passed we plan on tearing it down. In the meantime how can we FIX this. I imagine if I pushed on the spot it would go all the way through. There is no basement and no way to get under the tub. Not only that but the bathroom is small and NO WAY to get the tub out. This house is about 100 years old but I am thinking the bathroom is around 65 years old. Also, replacing is far to expensive. I know there is a way to reporcelain but with the condition of the spot I am not sure that could take place.

Any ideas??????????? This is something that needs to be taken care of at once.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Once a tub gets to the point you describe there is not a lot you can do short of replacement.

Anything else will just be temporary.

You can try silicone, bondo, epoxy. The problem is whatever you use will have nothing behind it for support but a rusty soft spot / hole.

You mother could live longer than you think. I would get 2-3 estimates as to the cost of replacement. At least you will know for sure what the cost would be instead of guessing.

If you have the $$$ to tear down the house you surely have enough to replace a tub for mom.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rust

IF that is a steel tub, which your description implies, then there is no repair possible. There is also no room so small that the tub cannot be gotten out of it. After all, it was big enough to put the tub in in the first place.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, sometimes the walls are built around the tub...but to get it out, it can be broken up. It's getting a new one in that is tough, but still normally doable.

ConnieVa

Reaction score
what i found out

Ok here is what I found out. Mom said the spot was soft but after checking it's HARD. I am now using a wire brush to get as much rust off as I can. Then plan to sand paper it and go from there. Guess I over reacted.

You were right about one thing. The room was built around the bathtub. It was before Mom owned the property but she knew the people that lived in the house and remembers a tub was set and the family members built the room around it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks