Heating Rads A Strange One !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

fitsjohn

Reaction score
hi there folks,Hope you can shed some light on a problem I am having . I have a 40 year old house plumbed with copper piping and A solid fuel stove which is really effecient i think and heats my emmersion easily. The water supply also is also set up to run the rads in the house .
The problem is it heats the first 3 rads to almost boiling and none of the rest of the house at all .
I have had plumbers in who have bled the entire system numerous times .
we have installed circulation pumps at the highest point in the system and at the lowest point ,reversing pumps,1 pump at a time ,2 together and cant figure out the problem.

Any thoughts appreciated,Thanks john

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
fitsjohn said:
hi there folks,Hope you can shed some light on a problem I am having . I have a 40 year old house plumbed with copper piping and A solid fuel stove which is really effecient i think and heats my emmersion easily. The water supply also is also set up to run the rads in the house .
The problem is it heats the first 3 rads to almost boiling and none of the rest of the house at all .
I have had plumbers in who have bled the entire system numerous times .
we have installed circulation pumps at the highest point in the system and at the lowest point ,reversing pumps,1 pump at a time,2 together and cant figure out the problem.

Any thoughts appreciated,Thanks john

More information would help.

What kind of radiators? The big standup type, or copper fin baseboard?

Is the system using water circulation or steam?

If water, is it pressurized? What is the pressure and how is it maintained?

If steam, what is the pressure?

What's an "emmersion"?

Why a circulation pump at "the highest point in the system"? That is not the place to put it.

It's an old house. What was changed between the time it worked and now?

Are there air vents at the high points in the system?

Is there an air scoop and air vent near the boiler?

Is there an expansion tank in the heating loop?

How many zones and how are they controlled?

How do you get makeup water into the system?

Tell us a bit more and maybe someone can give you some suggestions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heat

If 2 plumbers working on it there, even if they are not too familiar with wet heating, cannot come up with a solution, rather than just installing and changing things hoping it will cure the problem, then how would we be able to do any better without even seeing your system. There might be many possible causes, and it is possible that not all radiators are being affected by the same problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks