Drop Elbow for shower bar rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Xenomorph

Reaction score
I am curious about roughing in a drop elbow for a sliding shower bar. Do you rough in the drop elbow flush with the face of the studs or is the depth not that critical? There will be backerboard and tile going on infront of the drop elbow, and then a drop elbow trim piece and nipple going into the drop elbow.

Thx

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Depth is dependent on how much room the fixture allows. You can buy or have made nipples to any length, from a minimum value (which I don't know) to pretty long. If the fixture's socket is flush with the back of the fixture, then the drop elbow may have to be deeper in the wall than even with the face of the studs. Doesn't your fixture come with installation instructions?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I called Moen customer service (800-BUY-MOEN, 800-289-6636) and got some help. Their advice is to make the end of the nipple flush with the finish wall. So, I would buy the shortest brass nipple I could find, screw it into the drop ell (I'm assuming this is brass) (may as well make this permanent -- use Teflon tape and pipe dope), and then mount the thing so that the end of the nipple will be flush with the finished wall. Then wrap the exposed end of the nipple with Teflon tape, add a loosely-fitted (so as not to disturb the tape) cap, and build your wall. Remove the cap, glop some pipe dope on the female threads of the Moen drop ell, and screw it on. It's supposed to tighten just as the flange comes up to the wall.

Good luck...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks