New bath in an unfinished basement

Users who are viewing this thread

stickmonkey

Reaction score
My house is three years old and has a daylight basement with rough ins for a bath. According to the builders plans it was roughed in for a full bath but there is no drain stub for the bathtub. Is it possible that it is buried just under the slab? There is a pipe running up the wall where the tub would go that I assume is the vent stack.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could have a thin layer of concrete over it. Tap on the floor where you think it is with a hammer and see if you can hear any difference. The area around the drain is usually boxed out, since every tub will require the trap to be positioned a little different - you need some room to work and adjust for the final fit.

stickmonkey

Reaction score
new bath in unfinished basement

Here are two shots of the area, one picture and a scan of the original building plans. I assume the stub on the floor is for the toilet, and the left pipe is the drain/vent for a lav - it's capped just to the left of the picture. The center pipe is the drain for a toilet and lav from a powder room directly above. The right pipe has no visible connections. Is it the vent for a tub? Where is the toilet vented? Also, will I be able to easily add washing machine hookups to the existing plumbing in this room? Thank you.

Attachments

• basementbath.JPG
    basementbath.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 336
  • basementplan.jpg
    basementplan.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 304
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks