pressure running at 20lbs

Users who are viewing this thread

horseshoer

Reaction score
I have a 3/4hp 10gpm webtrol submersible pump (put in 1994) 63ft deep 1 inch steel pipe. Sometime in the last week it started to run all the time, not sure just when. Anyway it is producing water, but at a low rate now. It did kick off a time or two in the last couple of days,that is at 50 lbs pressure. Now it is running at 20 to 25 lbs and running all the time. I tried to turn it off and on over a short period of 1/2 hour or so, didn't help. Sound like I need to pull it. What I need is help in that department, what to check and how to check it.

Any help will be well received
Horseshoer

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You have a serious leak, probably in the drop pipe the pump is hung on. It could be a cracked fitting on the outlet of the pump also.

Lifting the galvanized and holding it so it doesn't fall down the well as you unscrew the 20' sections isn't going to be easy. You may need a pro with a derrick truck.

V

vaplumber

You could also simply have a worn out pump. At that age, its near the end of its life any way. Impellers wear down. Shaft couplings begin to strip out and start to slip. With metal pipe, even at this shallow depth, you're going to need several helpers with strong backs. That pipe is going to be full of water as you lift. If you replace the pump, I would hire a pump man with a derrick, and when dropping the new pump, I would use poly flex pipe and stainless steel clamps. Next time you need to lift it, you can do it alone and save a lot of money.

horseshoer

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply: I have this ford tractor with lift, going to let it do the lifting along with family. Maybe some more info - best way to grab on to the pipe to bring it up and hold onto it while being taken apart so it doesn't fall back. Plus there shouldn't any reason why I can't use plastic to put it back down (right)?

Thanks Again
Horseshoer

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
It's difficult to lift straight up with a tractor bucket or three point hitch. If you cock the pipe too far off center you could break it at a thread or bad spot.

Holding the pipe should be done with a pipe vise or pipe clamp. They are both expensive, but so are new wells where the pump in the old well can't be retrieved.

Plastic pipe can be used. I use it even though I prefer galvanized for a bunch of reasons. My comptetitors have forced me to switch.

Heres a link to the Kwik Klamp

Last edited:

Raucina

Reaction score
with a bandsaw and a few pieces of nice oak from a pallet you can make a cam clamp that sits on the casing and will grab automatically as you lift the pipe. You can get safer by adding some springs and rubber grippers-liners too. Better to weld one up if you might do it again. At 60 feet you dont have far to go at all. With the cam you can lift a foot and take a rest as needed.

You can get some straight lift by curling the bucket only with a chain or cable slung over it.

R

Rancher

horseshoer said:
I have this ford tractor with lift, going to let it do the lifting along with family. Maybe some more info - best way to grab on to the pipe to bring it up and hold onto it while being taken apart so it doesn't fall back. Plus there shouldn't any reason why I can't use plastic to put it back down (right)?
3 lenghts of 1" galvanized could probably be pulled by yourself and a strong helper. You can wrap a piece of chain several times around the 1" and use a bolt to secure the wrap, as you raise it, it'll slide down the pipe as your raise it and then when you let it go, it gets cocked so it'll hold solid, use a hook on your 6" well casing on the other end, try this outside the well first... You can use 1" poly for the drop pipe next time, I can pull a submersible on poly from 100' by myself with lots of sweat.

If your are going to use the tractor, build a tripod out of pipe and a pulley at the top.

Rancher

Last edited by a moderator:

horseshoer

Reaction score
Thanks to all replies. Everyone has taken the fear out of doing this. Plus I just found out that I have cous. in the family that works for a well drilling outfit and he said he would come over to help out. He has the tools that will take the fun out of it. Still going to do it the old fashion way, but now I can save a chunk of money, going to put back schedule 80 pipe back down. Thanks again
A retired Horseshoer

marsan5

Reaction score
Please go slow!

Hiya, well we thought we where saving money too, as you will see in an earlier questions tonight, about a stuck pump! It was coming so nice, and the last 30 feet where slow going, like an inch every minute..it started stuttering, dry like, we where thinking of flushing h20 down to lube it, as the casing is dry up top..and sediment buildup from it being down there for 15 yrs did not help. We are going to try and snare it with a cable tomorrow, as the hose it only four feet below cap..but we are going to poor mineral oil in to give it lube..good luck pulling yours!

horseshoer

Reaction score
want to thank everyone. I think everyone was right, it was a hole in the 1" pipe just at the pump (strange ) pulled it last night with a chain hoist, faster than and safer than the tractor. putting down schedule 80 pipe today, should be water soon. Went real easy. Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks