How to attach granite backsplash ?

Users who are viewing this thread

CeeZee

Reaction score
Yet another question about my new granite vanity countertop.

I'm going to pull off the existing cultured granite (ugh) countertop, backsplash and side splashes. I hoping I can do this without too much damage to the existing wallboard. If I run into trouble I patch and fill them. I'll then lay down the new granite countertop. I plan on just caulking around the edges with the walls – (suggested in an earlier question I had)?

Then I'll put in the new back and sides splash pieces (also granite). What should I use to adhere them to the wallboard and/or countertop?

If anyone has any web sites or books that I should look at to help me with this, that'd be great.

Thanks again,

Carole

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's easier to folllow if you keep all of the project questions in the same thread.

You can just use some silicon to attach it to the top and the wall.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The choice of "glue" depends on whether you think you might ever want to remove it again. Use liquid nails if this is in there permanently. Use some sort of adhesive caulk like a polyseamseal, if you you think you might want to remove it some day. I would put a bead of glue or caulk around the entire perimeter of the splashboard, about 1/2" in from the edge, then use a zig-zag pattern for the middle. I would then use G.E. Bio Seal silicone to caulk the top of the splashboard to the wall and a smaller bead to caulk between the splash and the countertop.

That's what I meant when I said to caulk the countertop to the wall. If you caulk just the countertop to the wall first, your splashguard may not sit flush on top of the countertop.

CeeZee

Reaction score
Verdeboy,

Thanks for your detailed instructions – very helpful. As you can tell, this type of installation is all very new to me.

My next step is to try to get the current countertop and splashguards off without ruining the cabinet and walls. All depends on what kind of glue they used, I think. Also, I need to find someplace that is willing to reface my cabinets. It's such a small job that no one wants it. I may end up just trying to get new cabinet doors and then priming/painting the existing laminate.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I just watched a bunch of granite guys attach my new vanity and backsplash. They used no sealant of any kind between the slab and the vanity itself, and a black caulk (brand was Alex) to fasten the backsplash to the slab. Finally, white caulk around the backsplash to seal it to the wall. They laid down a 1/4" or so bead all around, smoothed it with a finger, and wiped it with a moist tapered sponge. Looks great, and it's not going anywhere.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Probably Masteck (sp?) The stuff you use on mirrors. I was thinking of that, or even thinset, since it is a stone. I put granite tiles on the wall in my kitchen, and used thinset. It's really no different than tiling a wall. I wouldn't think a backsplash made of stone would be much different, as long as its sealed good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks