Refilling baseboard heater boiler and lines

Users who are viewing this thread

ek867

Reaction score
When I moved into my 50 year old house about 4 years ago, there were icemaker valves on the upper heating zone loop, presumably for purging air out of the system. A couple of years ago a heating tech replaced them with bleeder valves. (He also replaced the Fill-Trol unit and serviced the boiler) If I recall correctly, one of the bleeders leaked so he came back and removed it, leaving just one bleeder. Then, at the end of last winter I checked and noticed a very slow leak in the area in which the bleeder was removed. This is not my main heating system and it was almost spring so I decided to just drain some pressure from the boiler and leave it for a while. Now with 30 degree temperatures in NJ, I need to resolve this. I figured I would pressurize the system again and monitor closely for the same leak. I have never pressurized the system myself before.

Here is what I did....

-Lowered thermostats (disconnected for one of the zones that has been having the problem
-Turned off gas supply to boiler (probably should have done this a long time ago)
-Turned off electricity supply to boiler
-Ensured hose valves for both zones were closed
-Closed refill supply line valve
-Moved thermostat controlled electronic valves into manually open position for both zones. (Note: Forgot to do this the first time I went through this process)
-Attached hoses to each of the zones’ hose connections (one on each return leg) and hung them so they were submerged in water in a clean garbage pail
-Opened hose valves on both zones
-Opened refill supply line valve
-Allowed water to flow through the system (both hoses) and into the garbage pail.
-When garbage can was full, turned off refill supply valve, then turned off hose valves.
-Carefuly turned on refill supply valve (with hose connections still closed) to *TRY* to bring the pressure up into the 12-15 psi range.

When I turned on the refill supply valve in the last step, the pressure quickly increased to 10psi. However, I could not get the pressure to increase beyond 10psi.

Also, although air bubbles stopped coming out of the upstairs / attic zone, there were still air bubbles (some large) coming out of the downstairs / family room zone. These did reduce down to just a stream of very small bubbles, but did not seem to disappear 100%.

So, here are my questions...

1. Am I doing this right?
2. Is 10 psi acceptable and normal? Since the Fill-Trol is supposed to be charged to 12psi, maybe this is just a minor error in the boiler pressure gauge and means that the Fill-Trol is actually working correctly? I vaguely recall a couple of heating guys in the past complaining that they could not get the pressure up through the supply line so they "worked around it", I think by hooking up a garden hose somewhere to the system). However, with the replacement of the Fill-Trol, I don't understand why there would still be a problem.
3. How can I be sure the air is out of the system? There is some kind of bleeder valve in the upstairs baseboard loop. It looks like it has a flat head slot on it. With the system cold, I turned it counter clockwise and it seemed to loosen, but nothing happened. Am I doing this right? Does the system need to be hot for this to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

• Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 513
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 532
  • Slide5.JPG
    Slide5.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 513
  • Slide6.JPG
    Slide6.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 502
  • Slide9.JPG
    Slide9.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 471
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks