Toto advice

Users who are viewing this thread

ssabo4321

Reaction score
I' thinking I might be interested in theToto. I have been checking the 2 piece Drake 900 grams and 1 piece Ultramax models 700 grams.

Is it better to have the 900 gram v the 700 gram?

Does the more grams translate into better peromance?

Are there any other models I should be considering?

Is the Sanigloss surface worth the extra money?

And finally, will these toilets equal or exceed the oerfomance of a 3.5 gallon toilet?

Thanks for any advice.

Minnow

Reaction score
I've had a Drake for about a year and it hasn't even come close to clogging. Very good product - except - the bowl wash isn't very good. The flush is so fast there is no spiraling to clean the bowl. I have the Sanigloss finish and I suppose it's worth it; it's easy to clean. But I'd pay more for a toilet that didn't leave "evidence of use", so to speak. The Ultramax is supposedly better, but I don't know.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most people only put in 250 grams.
So the difference between 700 and 900 isn't much to think about.

The Ultramax is a one-piece, the tank is molded to the bowl, one less thing to worry about, and easier to clean.
The one piece toilets come with a soft close seat.

If you don't worry so much about the gram issue, the Toto Ultimate is a very good buy. I used one for over a year, and it worked out very well.

DGorvet

Reaction score
Re: why isn't water washing the bowl?

The reason the bowl isn't being cleaned well is that a significant amount of the 1.6 gallons is being directed to the bottom of the toilet to forcibly push the effluent through the drain. That's why the G-Max toilets flush so well. The trade-off is the bowl doesn't get washed very well because there's not much water left to come out of the rim. This is a very common theme in reviews of the G-Max, but most people are so impressed that the flush is complete (and therefore doesn't require 2nd and 3rd flushes), that they seem to live with the problem.

I'm ready to buy the new Soiree (which uses the 'double-cyclone' wash system), which supposedly really provides great upper-bowl wash (http://www.totousa.com/productpage.asp?PID=881).

But it's not cheap, and I'm DYING for SOMEONE who has purchased one to post a review indicating if the flush (meaning, how well the effluent is cleared) is nearly as good as the G-Max.

/Doug

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

DGorvet

Reaction score
More on Toto Soiree

I called Toto Customer Support again today and was told that the earlier information from Toto Customer Support, namely that the Soiree didn't have a siphon jet at the bottom of the bowl, is incorrect. Not too surprising since he had never seen one; he was interpreting internal literature.

The rep today told me that he's been using a Soiree for 5 months now; it has a siphon jet at the bottom; the double-cyclone system does a much better job of washing the bowl; and the flush is, in his estimation, better than the G-Max.

Pretty much what I expected to hear from a Toto employee, but I was happy to hear that the Soiree has a siphon jet. And this guy readily admitted the upper-bowl wash problems of the G-Max systems.

I'd love to hear from someone else that's used a Soiree (Terry??), but I'm ready to buy it.

/Doug

Spokaneman

Reaction score
I have two Vespiins with the SaniGloss finish. They are great products and have not clogged in a year of use. But, I cannot see tht the SG finish is noticably better than a standard finish. I certainly would not pay extra to get it, knowing what I know now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks