Toilet Close To Overflow Before Draining But No Clog?

Users who are viewing this thread

ironmine1

Reaction score
When I flush the toilet, the bowl fills with water almost to the point of overflowing onto the floor, then it starts to go down the drain, and it does drains completely without problem.

Can this be caused by something other than a clog? I've been plungering hard and fast all evening. I see no signs of a clog at all. No debris or anything as i plunger. I was going to buy a toilet auger in the morning.

Again, once the bowl does start to drain, all contents go down the drain no problem.

Is there something I am missing, or does their have to be some kind of clog somewhere?

Thanks alot.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Put the plunger away and get a plumber to auger the drain. You have a clog, but it's probably not in the toilet but in the drain.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
This happens regularly? When the toilet does drain does it drain rapidly, like a normal flush, or does it just slowly drain out?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Clean out the rim flush and the jet below the water level.

Or pour a gallon of muriatic acid down the tanks overflow and let it set for 10 min. then flush the toilet. Lay a newspaper over the bowl and run a fan across the toilet because the acids fumes are harmful to chrome.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

A plunger does nothing to tell you if there is a clog. All it could tell you is that there was one and you pushed it out. From your description you do have a clog, but it could be in the toilet, or it could be in the drain line. Unless you spend almost as much as a plumber would charge to buy your closet auger, it may not be much more effective than the plunger.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
B4 you do anything take a 5 gallon bucket and put 4 gallons of water in it then pour it in to the bowl quickly. Do this 2-3 times if it goes down normaly. If the bowl backs up you have a clog. If the bowl drains normally then you have a bowl with lime / calcium build up that is not allowing the water to flow fast enough to flush the bowl correctly. If the bowl is lime /calcium clogged I would replace the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks