Copper Pipe - 10 foot lengths??

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnO

Reaction score
I am remodeling my bathroom. For the toilet, I removed the flange as well as the 3 inch long and 3 inch wide copper pipe that went into the flange. I thought it would be no big deal to pick up another 3 inch pipe.

I'm told that they are only available in 10 foot lengths at a cost of $160 plus.

Is there somebody who sells 3 inch copper pipe in less than 10 foot lengths?

Also, is it the pipe I need or is it a 3 inch coupling? Again, it is going directly into the flange. Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As you have discovered, copper prices have gone through the roof in recent times. You can certainly check with the various stores to see, but I doubt that anyone will sell less than a full joint. You might check with plumbing contractors to see if you could scrounge a scrap from a job they are doing, but with the price of copper what it is, that would be a long shot at best. I think you best solution is to transition from copper to PVC with a banded coupling and finish out with PVC pipe and fittings.

nejpski

Reaction score
Recycler

Although not ideal...the local recycler in our area sells pieces of pipe which are in good shape (I bought a 2 ft piece of 2" that way). Maybe worth a call to see if they have some in your area.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually, that would be ideal. Copper doesn't rust, corrode, or otherwise go bad, so as long as the piece was undented, it would work fine. Of course a couple of coupling will cost a bundle.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
this is the drain line for the toilet? why not transition it from DWV copper to plastic? All you need is a transition coupling and plastic will be much cheaper than copper, additionally you will not need to solder.

JohnO

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. It would not be feasible for me at this point to start with the copper flange and make a transition to PVC since another bathroom drains into the same line..

All I want to do is connect the toilet flange to a 3 or 4 inch long copper pipe (3 inches wide) which will join to an elbow. Locating the 3 inch pipe is the problem.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have an industrial harware store in your area, like ACE/Marshalls' Industrial Hardware they sell almost anything in small quantities, including pipe by the foot. Naturally you pay a premium, but less that full stick price.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
copper

Check with a junk yard in your area. They will probably have what you need. They sell it by the pound which will make it more expensive than the normal per foot price.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks