Getting the Drake

Users who are viewing this thread

JIM LANNING

Reaction score
I am so excited about getting my new toto drake in the cotton white with comfort height that I could almost crap...
I have a 15 inch ruff in and am gonna put a offset to bring it back closer to the wall. I am gonna pick it up on Monday and am paying $320 for the two piece unit.
I am also gonna pick up the americast 30 x 60 and raise the shower head and up. I was debating the getting a acrylic tub with surrond but decide this would be a better look with tile.....
Now the question is what kind of tiling to get.....
Thanks board members, I have been lurking around reading posts and learning.
Jim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As to what type of tile, that is entirely a style and preference thing; just make sure you install and prep the walls properly. Check out that website, I don't think you'll be sorry.

A through-body porcelain tile is extreemely rugged. You can get them in glazed as well. Decorative glass tile can make a nice (but expensive) statement, and can add just that extra pizazz. A well executed niche can provide a great place to store the inevitable stuff you keep in the shower. Natural stone always can look good, and is, well, natural! Even an inexpensive wall tile can look good and last a very long time, so let your mind wander. The key is to take care in installing it right, whatever you choose.

Some people like to go the extra route and use an epoxy grout, which is stronger and normally won't support mold (which you shouldn't have if you install things properly). It is easier to clean, but costs a bunch more.

JIM LANNING

Reaction score
Thanks for the lead on the tile. Know anything about installing the offset flange for the toilet?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Most plumbers try to avoid an offset flange like the plague...they can cause problems. The alternative is to live with the gap, or install a bump out or put a shelf over it.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Any time you put another angle in the drain, you slow things down and offer a potential to clog things. By its nature, an offset flange has an angle to it just as the waste is coming out of the toilet and before it starts to accelerate from the downward angle of the (normally) vertical section. The better alternative is to relocate the drain so you can get the exact rough-in the toilet was designed for.

JIM LANNING

Reaction score
Seems to make sense...Thanks
I was going to get the americast Princeton but am now considering the Koeller Villager cast Iron tub for $300 at depot.....It has a life time guarantee and a much better finish.....Also weights in at 315 LBS......Any recommendation?

JIM LANNING

Reaction score
I am 6' 5" 290 and played football and wrestled but will get it into the house on a 2 wheeler and have my friends over for lunch.....Have you seen this tub? Its so nice.......The finish is as smooth as a babys but.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks